MR-8 memory

Guitarman45

After recording a stereo midi file to tracks 5/6, I cut two vocal tracks, one on track 1 then 2 (harmony). Followed by a lead guitar on track 3. Rewound & played the tracks back several times during recording re-cutting each track several times. Each time I used the undue feature to erase track data. Cleared the track OK, but I learned the hard way that my actual recording time was not restored on a delete. Seems like everything I recorded was saved and used up card time? Tried to covert to a wave file on 7/8...no dice! Got the old "card full." Moved the files over via the USB to Sonor no problem, but the time issue frustrates me.....doesn't make sense. I must be doing something wrong....manual no help! Finally discovered on another forum that one needs to "delete unused space" even after deleting track info to regain actual recording time on the card....is this the answer? It seems to work, but I didn't have time during the last session to work on it much. What process do you all recommend for dubbing over tracks several times without loosing recording time on the already short time card? Thanks in advance for the help!

MR-8 Memory

Thanks Turntablist....I appreciate the info. I actually went back a month or so on the forum and found several folks with similar problems. Hadn't noticed the block allowing earlier posts. New to this stuff! Anyway, I'll go home tonight and give it a whirl! Thanks again!

Re: MR-8 Memory

Guitarman45 said:
Thanks Turntablist....I appreciate the info. I actually went back a month or so on the forum and found several folks with similar problems. Hadn't noticed the block allowing earlier posts. New to this stuff! Anyway, I'll go home tonight and give it a whirl! Thanks again!

welcome to the club Guitarman. Good luck on your Mr-8 and let us know if you have more questions.

clif

MR-8 Memory

Thanks Cliff....I appreciate everyones patience in helping me out with this little red jewel. I should learn to research more, but panic is a funny thing sometimes. Someone said in a past post I read that after asking a somewhat "dingy" appearing question they we're "chewed to pieces." I've witnessed that on several "other forums." Too bad for sure. Even with my many years as a performer and just about everythng else in this business, I can assure you all that about the time you think you know it all, everything WILL change. It's "good" to have a forum like this to share ideas and resolve those impossible dilemmas with like musicians. Thanks again to all and I look forward to working with you all in the future. Take care!

Guitarman, Welcome. I know exactly what you are talking about getting chewed to pieces. By the way that some people reply in the other forums they think they are on prorecording.com not homerecording.com.

What I actually like about the fostex forum is that we don't have self appointed post policemen. There's nothing wrong with a little repetition, after all, it's the best way to learn. When someone buys a new piece of gear they want immediate results and it's perfectly understandable if they post before they do a search, especially if they are new to the forum.

Absolutely right. The nice thing about a little repetition is that it get's people talking again and often leads in interesting directions.

Guitarman - another thing to keep in mind is that you can copy your tracks off to a PC - 1 through 4, for example, and keep your backing on 5/6. Then record four more tracks and repeat the process. This way you can get unlimited tracks and/or takes for a given song onto a PC for mixing and editing. The MR-8 really shines in that regard.

Good luck and welcome aboard!

MR-8 Memory

Thanks mrx, morindae, gospel, clif & everyone I appreciate the comments, the welcome, and the valuable information from all of you. I'm dumping tracks to Sonor now like an expert and having a ball. The MR-8 is truly an amazing machine for $299.00! Does just what it claims to do. I may upgrade the card at some point, but since I'm a long time sequencer with Cakewalk etc. importing & exporting files via USB is a "piece of cake." Looking back at my studio days recording on 32 track Scully tape units and all that (I'm dating myself), and with a decent compressor, condensor mic & outboard effects etc. this little digital wizard does just about the same thing for a whole lot less. Plus, I get to be performer, producer, engineer & critic all at the same time! Marvelous world we're living in if you think about! Thanks again all!

Wow, don't know how I missed this thread.....sorry Guitarman! Just a welcome, since the guys have you squared away.

bd

Guitarman sounds like you know something about the analog domain. I like the way the MR-8 is inexpensive and how, since it is digital, it is easy to use. Have you been able to add anything to your recordings to get rid of some of that digital harshness?

Digital Harshness

Gospel- Your right lot's of time in the world of tape. I run everything I do into a Mackie 1402 board, then into the MR-8. Using a quality condensor mic of course is minimal. I use only outboard effects including compressor etc. I can list the specific equipment if necessary, but any good stuff will do the job. The Mackie has great pots and is super quiet though I doubt it adds any warmth per say. I heard all about the "digital tin sound" when the studio's I worked in started going to the Alesis digital stuff. Frankly, I never heard it.....not really. Certain stuff lost a bit of "character" as I called it, but the good side of digital far out weighed the "tin issue." Some of us Tele pickers installed a Humbucker or beefed up a single coil pickup etc. to pump up the bottom a bit, vocals were easy with the big condensors and a board with good EQ or a BBE sonic maximizer always did the trick. If you've ever spent a zillion hours trying to get a "fat analog sound on your old Teac 4 track at home, you will appreciate this little red box as I do. Sometimes that "warm" tape sound was a drag too. I did hear the hiss, pop, and lot's of other junk on tape constantly if anything at all made noise. Fender amps & guitars of old had demons living in them you always heard on tape! Most of what little background noise I do hear on the MR-8 doesn't get to the final mix in my experience so far. Probably the headphone amp or one of the pots etc. vs background noise per say. You can buy a lot of boxes that will warm up your sound, I'm not sure what you play & record etc. but a good compressor can sure go a long way. Relish in the ease of laying down a good clean track with virtual ease for mere pennies. I remain amazed. Hope this helps......have fun!

Your input is appreciated Guitarman. My problem right now is probably the fact that I just got a set of monitors. I was mixing on computer speakers before. Now when I play the songs I mixed on the computer speakers on these monitors they make the mix sound very harsh with too much high mids and highs. My vocals sound very thin. I'll just have to work with them and learn how to mix on them.

Monitors

Gospel....getting that sound in your monitors to match the eventual completed project is one of the toughest parts of the recording process if you ask me. A true reference monitor is truly a beautiful thing.....but in the end , the ears rule! I feel as though I'm taking up valuable time & space here and maybe boring the members. I do tend to run at the mouth a bit. If you need some more feedback on this, let's do an email! Take care. I will try to spell correctly in the future turntablist.

Back