more memory for MR-8....

russman

Would it be possible to get an external USB hard drive and hook it up to the MR-8 for extra storage or would that just defeat the purpose of having a computer?

what i mean is, you can get an external hard drive for like 85 bucks, so if it is possible to operate the MR-8 with the hard drive attached then that would make sense to me to buy a 20 gig and expand your memory.

on second thought i dont think it would work

Russman,
Welcome to the board.......so far you're doing pretty good, nobody has had to answer anything for you! Keep gettin up man!

bd

What a great idea!

If this can't be done now, Fostex ought to develop a way. An external USB drive for the MR8. Even a memory stick thingy would be a great idea. Are you sure this won't work now?

i have been searching everywhere for an adapter to adapt the compactflash socket to IDE without letting the mr8 know. i found one but there are some technicalities that keep it from working. I have spoken to embedded systems engineers and they have little faith in that working. Also. since the mr-8's OS uses FAT16 formatting, the largest drive you could use would be 2.5 gig.

why it wouldnt work

me thinks it wouldnt work because you have to be in USB mode to use the USB hard drive that would be attached.. if that would be how you would attach the hard drive to it. i havent had my MR-8 very long but i dont think you can do anything but transfer files while in USB mode.. so you might as well just hook up to your computer if it could work.

that was my logic....

Speed. Look at the problems with so many brands of CF cards. Add a drive and and any translating logic and will be too slow to handle all that audio.

Anyone with a little knowledge about computer peripherals knows that USB connection is not a peer-to-peer connection but a master-slave connection just like scsi where one and only one of the devices must act as the master and one or more devices act as slaves. You just cannot connect two USB slaves or two masters together and expect them to work. In computer world even many devices that are designed to work together will not work for a reason or another and you can be pretty sure that when some devices are not designed to work together in the first place they will never ever work together by mere chance. Such miracles just don't happen in the computer world. Therefore MR8 being a USB slave device and a USB hd being also a slave those two can't work together no matter what kind of adapter you put between them. Unless that adapter is a computer which is designed to work with those two.

Anyone with a little knowledge about computer peripherals knows that USB connection is not a peer-to-peer connection but a master-slave connection just like scsi where one and only one of the devices must act as the master and one or more devices act as slaves.

[sarcasm]YEAH! I can't believe you musicians didn't know that!!![/sarcasm]

Dude, all I want is a fucking hard drive somehow attached to my MR-8 through the CompactFlash card slot while retaining the ability to connect the machine to my computer via USB with such ease. Is that possible, PeteHalo?

Back