Model 80 repair Symptom/Solution thread

nettech

This thread is for the ones of us who have Model 80's, R8's, A8's or similar decks and have diagnosed and repaired them. Tell what went wrong, and what you needed to do to fix it. I'll start off with a quick & simple one:

Symptom: A Model 80, in play or record mode only. Runs for a couple of minutes, a brief rumble (or hum) is heard thru outputs, transport stops, counter resets. Repeatable by entering play or record mode again. FF and Rewind not affected.

Solution: One of the diodes in the 2nd bridge rectifier on the power supply board was open. A scope reading showed 30hz ripple at 4V peak-to-peak.
Replaced whole bridge rectifier with a similar 1.4a/50V component from Radio Shack.

My capstan stopped turning on my R-8, after I'd boxed it and moved it to another room in my house. I took off the front panel and found it jammed up against the frame assembly, I guess. I fiddled around with it somehow pushed it back in until it began to turn freely and re-assembled the machine. When I pushed play, the tension arm guides simply fell down and everything stopped. I unscrewed the top panel, it folded open, and I noticed one of the 2 8 amp fuses was blown. I'm not much of an electronics guy, but I snooped around just enough to find and fix the problem. I've done this kind of thing on this machine a few other times and each time was able to fix it. Otherwise, I'd have to take it to a place in Portland that charges $40 just to look at it, and even then I'd have to wait six to eight weeks for them to get around to it. As it was, I fixed it in about an hour, it cost me a fuse, and it's up and running. I love it when that happens. I love this thing, it's near bullet-proof. :)

net tech,... another good one!!

I read your symptom & immediately thought "power supply".

Do I get a prize? ;)

There's almost nothing that's wrong with a Fostex that a good kick in the ass won't fix! :eek:

Well, I did say "Quick and Simple", so .....

Well, I did say "Quick and Simple", so ..... Here's a slightly used adhesive "Gold Star" for you!! :p

To all the Model 80 users out there in internetland..... remember to use Quantegy 407 for " Maximum soggage™ " :D

Phrase came from a GP9 ad, I think.....

The Phrase came from a GP9 ad, I think.....

From the couple of lines I can remember:

Engineer#1 - Listen to that HiHat!
Engineer#2 - Yeah. It's stiff!
Engineer#1 - ...and not squashed.
Engineer#2 - ???
Engineer#1 - ???
Engineer#2 - We're printing at nine over 250 and it still doesn't 'sog up'!
Engineer#1 - ???
Engineer#2 - ???

Announcer - Some people would say it's audibly superior. Some would say, "It just sounds better".

I wish I had saved the magazine it came from. :(

Sog,...

like getting soggy? Like, to the point of saturation that it loses it's consistency?

Y'know,... somehow that makes sense! :eek: ;)

Yah! and the nine over 250 I spose means....

Yah! and the nine over 250 I spose means +9DB over 250nwbr head drive point, but I don't know. I'm just a hobbyist. :)

Last edited:
A-8 for parts

I've got an A-8 that needs a capstan motor, otherwise in great shape.
Anybody have info on finding replacement??? Does anybody need this for parts??? Also have a service manual and maybe calibration tape.
chazba

Back