Which mixer for D-160

CharlesThomas

https://homerecording.com/ubb/icons/icon5.gif

I just bought a D-160 16-track hard-disck recorder and it's the bee's knees! After recording with reel-to-reel for the last decade, I am amazed by the flexibility and ease of use with the D-160. I'm curious what people would recommend for mixers for this unit. Something digital, probably 24x8 with at least 3 fx sends.

What about the Yamaha 01V?

Thanks for any recommendations.

The Alesis Studio 32 might be a good buy. It goes for @ $900 and has routing that eliminates the need to repatch. Folks on this site that own one seem to be pretty happy. It is analogue though. Fostex has a nice digital mixer, too. The VM800 I think. It has 8 analogue and 8 ADAT/digital i/o. The Tascam 4000 (I think) looks good and I have seen it at Musician's Friend for $500. Hard price to beat. That's a start for suggestions. You might want to give folks a budget to help with recommendations.

Peace, Jim

Well, it would depend greatly on features. Ideally, I'd like something at or under $800, but fully digital is going to require something more in the range of $1100, methinks.

I have an old Soundtraqs studio board (16x8x2) that has served me well, but it's getting old.

I really don't NEED digital, but the idea of having less channel hiss appeals to me. Plus, I'm a computer geek, and eventually doing automated mixes would be fun.

What I really NEED is probably 24x8x2 (16 inputs for the deck sends, plus another four channels for effects returns (yeah, I use channels), and another four for recording source inputs). It would also need to have inserts on each channnel, four fx sends, phantom power, and XLR inputs (at least 8 so I could do drums).

Tascam m-1600 or 2600 are your best bet. They are reasonable and has very flexible routing. Now, if you want/have a need to record all 16 channels at the same time, you need a mixer that has direct outs. Fostex 820's (if you could find them) or the Alesis Studio 32 (for all 16 tracks) would fit the bill. Mackies are good mixers if you could live with their crosstalk and their faders' "sudden surge" at 8 to 10 levels of volume.

I own the Alesis 32 and works well with my
adats especially with the elimination of
repatching when recording direct out.

Back