"master mode" Fd-8

Pbass75

hello everyone,
i am using a fd-8 with a zip 250,in the manual it reads you may format the disk in 2 modes 'normal' and 'master'. the later is uncompressed i believe. my question is does anyone use this type of format, and is there a noticable difference?

thanks in advance

Wow Pbass! Glad you asked that! I asked the same thing (kinda) on my Fostex topic regarding mic choices. Of course, I don't know the answer. I have a problem with manuals- I DON'T UNDERSTAND THEM. My question is(if i may): If in the future, I want to dump my tracks to an ADAT (seperate tracks at once), do I have to format my Zip disc in "Master" mode, or can I do it in "Normal" mode? I've never formatted in "Master" mode.

Maybe someone can answer both our questions.
Thanks. kmar

geez i hate to say this but i guess ill have to call fostex tomorrow. after being on hold for 20 minutes i get to talk to some retarded guy who calls himself a "tech". craptastic. i can hardly wait lol

i use master mode, as i have a 7 gig hard drive and as i read in the manuel and had it explained to be by fostex if you want to transfer to adat you HAVE to use the master mode. in terms of sound quality difference, i've only used the master mode so i can't compare.

Thanks Adam. That means NOTHING I have recorded can be dumped to ADAT!
I'll format in Master mode next time.

Back