How does VF-160EX compare with Boss BR1600?

guitmartiman

I have a friend who wants to buy a 16 track digital recorder who needs some information about the differences between the VF-160EX and the BOSS BR1600. I have a VF-160 which I'm very happy with, but I don't know much about the BR1600. Can anyone help me steer him in the right direction? Thanks.

Short answer is I don't know. I do know that Rolands are famous for op systems where you have to wade through loads of menus, with a learning curve like K2.
Whereas the VF is pretty straight forward, I think. The EX possibly even more straightforward than earlier versions becasue of the lack of connection options.

Try the Roland forum?

Orc

The Boss may have more XLR inputs, and I'd expect the Boss' effects to be excellent. But make sure the Boss will record at full 16 or 24 bit uncompressed. The VF160 is 16bit uncompressed.

Personally, I love the VF160. If I wasn't to get it I'd get a Korg D1600. To me the Boss' look like something that should be in a blister pack.

I think the Boss has a built-in drum machine, doesn't it? It's virtual, so it doesn't get printed onto a track. If you don't have a drummer or a decent drum machine, I think that would be the only reason to get one. I agree with Bill, the Boss does look cheap...

Back