How do you like your FD-8?

hi. im actually selling my fd-8. you can see it in the classifieds section of this bbs. im willing to negotiate on the price. i love the machine i just think im ready to upgrade to more tracks. email me if youre interested

thanks

Hi. FD 8 is a fine recorder but if i were u i will not buy it it with a built in hard drive. I bought it with a built in hD before and after a month my HD crashed, hanged and broke. now i use a 250 iomega zip drive seems to work out fine. that's all. good luck

choy

QUOTE]Originally posted by pitchfork:
I'm thinking of getting one. Any problems? Did you get the internal HD? Tell me everything!

thanks
[/QUOTE]

Hey Pitch,

I have the FD-8 with the 250 Zip drive and I really like it. So far I have had no problems and I really like to recordings I have made. The only downfall is that you can only record two tracks at once. If you need that I would maybe reccomend the Yamaha MD-8. If not you can't beat the price of the Fostex.

I have had one for about a year and am generally happy with it. Good, clean recording sound, pretty simple to use. Sometimes it hangs up on me quite a lot but I suspect it might be the external harddrive I use with it. Editing/arranging capabilties I think are limited, not for lack of features, but because of the interface, especially when comparing it to a computer based setup. I have been looking to incorporate it with my computer and have been somewhat frusrated in trying to find the appropriate interface.

thanks everyone!
keep the comments coming. I'm interested in hearing from anyone who got the internal HD...sounds like one person had trouble. Maybe the 250 zip is the way to go.

Hi again; Want to share again my HD experience. I never knew before what really went wrong with my FD, i thought my FD 8 is the problem so i panic because there is no service center of Fostex here in the philippines. But due to curiosity i open the FD 8 to look for the HD and I was shocked when i found out that the HD was made here. i never expected that. So i asked toshiba philippines about the HD and sad to hear that it's already been obsolete. i expected that the HD was made in Japan, or taiwan but only to find out it was made here.

I can't assure you of that but in my own experience i got it. Maybe you can ask Fostex first about the HD their going to install in the FD8.

really dont know man but but in my case i got the Toshiba Hard drive
philippines. U can give it try a maybe im just not lucky with my HD.

ive been thinking of selling my fd-8 (i use the zip drive) and buying the new Vf-16 because it has more tracks...but it comes standard with a hard drive. ive heard a few people say that they have had problems with the fostex hard drives. should i be nervous getting into the new 16 track? i think my only ohter option may be a roland VS machine but those are double the money...any suggestions?

thanks

I've got a FD8 with internal hard drive, although it's sound quality is excelent there is no way of compressing once the signal has been layed to disk.

I'm thinking of selling up and buying a VR800 hard disk unit and a 01V mixer.
It's just not worth upgrading by half steps.

Choy, so you've cracked the FD case open, is it true that the HD is soldered to the internal wiring, no clean IDE connection? I don't want to open mine and void warranty to find out, but I'd like to upgrade my HD myself if I can.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by choy:
Hi again; Want to share again my HD experience. I never knew before what really went wrong with my FD, i thought my FD 8 is the problem so i panic because there is no service center of Fostex here in the philippines. But due to curiosity i open the FD 8 to look for the HD and I was shocked when i found out that the HD was made here. i never expected that. So i asked toshiba philippines about the HD and sad to hear that it's already been obsolete. i expected that the HD was made in Japan, or taiwan but only to find out it was made here. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just wanted to clarify. Yes, the hard drive is done with a standard IDE connection, but it is the IDE connection that is soldered to the circuit board. If you bought the FD-8 or FD-4 without the hard drive then you have no "bay" for connecting. That is the problem, you have to have it connected. I called Fostex because I was told that the service dpmt could give me the go ahead and NOT void my warranty. Problem was that Fostex doesn't have instructions to send with the connector and hard drive, their techs just know how to do it. The cost for Fostex to drop in the Hard drive for you is @ $250 which includes a 4.3+ gb hard drive. Not bad. But the Orb (yeah, here I go again) is still cheaper. The Syjet, I heard, can be found for $50 with 1.5 gb cartridges for $30, but I don't know where. I saw the post in this forum, I think. But I also think Syjet may have gone bust. Don't know.

Hope that helps.

Peace, Jim

[This message has been edited by Jim Marquard (edited 06-07-2000).]

Jim, that was also my post regarding SyJet. They are new in box on Ebay right now for $40-$45 with shipping, and then cartridges are around $30 new. I think the drives are no longer manufactured, but the company (Syquest) is still in business and the cartridges are easy to find on most computer supply sites. So what I'm hearing you say is that if I already have an IDE drive in my FD4, I can take it out and connect a bigger one easily? That is exactly the answer I want to hear! Please confirm if you know this to be true-

I don't know how easy it is but I do know that if you have all of the connectors in there already and soldered down, there's no reason why you couldn't by a larger 2.5" drive and swap. I've heard of a lot of people who've done that.

I have had no problem with the internal hard drive, and really like my FD-8 in general. I haven't found that I need the portability of a zip drive, and I do like the machine to be as free standing as possible. There are a lot of other cables and devices around already.

P

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pitchfork:
thanks everyone!
keep the comments coming. I'm interested in hearing from anyone who got the internal HD...sounds like one person had trouble. Maybe the 250 zip is the way to go.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Back