help on fd-4

replica22

Hey I am probably going to buy a fd-4 but don't know if I have a computer compatible with it. My computer has a 16 gig hard drive and it doesnt have any of the other drives you cn use with the fd-4. Also is this a good peice o gear to use for your first time recording thingie. if you know any other cheap digital recording gear that is worthy of gettting please say so
thanks bob

I am a bit lost. You don't use a computer to record with the FD-4. It is a stand alone recorder. You either install a hard drive (which you should have Fostex or a dealer do--it is literally soldered onto the board) or you get an external SCSI media, either a hard drive or removable drive. Most folks in this forum are either using Zip drives or Orb drive--both use removable cartridges so it's very convenient to swap cartridges when one gets full. Zips offer either a 100mb or 250 mb cartridge and the Orb offers a 2.2 gb cartridge. I personally use the Orb and love it. But others feel the same about their Zip drives. If you go this route, make sure it is the external SCSI drive. USB or Serial port units will not work.

As for the FD-4 itself, it is a very nice unit for the price, though the mixer could be better. I have been very happy with it, though it is going to be replaced as soon as I have the money to buy a 16 track unit. 4 isn't near enough and I know I will run out with 8 tracks as well. Also, you can recorder on only two traks at a time. you can use all 4 channels at once, but you will mix them down to two tracks before you hit record. If you find it under $400 (just for the unit, no storage drive) it isn't a bad deal and it will blow the socks off cassette recorders. But, if you want to record a band in one shot, go for the D-108 or wait for the VF-16 which should be out this summer for under $1500.

Peace, Jim

When people in my hometoen as me what to buy
as far as equipment is concerned, i make suggetstions but the best advice is to always audition,research,ask questions and
have a general understanding of any product prior to purchase. An informed consumer is a
smart consumer.
Damn,I sound like some dumb commercial! :)

Back