Thread: Give me the low-down on the Fostex A-8LR!

Thanks

Question

Sign in to disable this ad
    I just got me a second hand Fostex A-8LR 1/4" 8-track. Seems to be working. And it's the version that record all 8-tracks simoultaneously too, which is nice.

Now, I feel that I need more info on this little baby! Whats the difference between the A-8 and A-8LR? Whats the difference between the A-8 and the R-8 (except the obvious: The R8 had leds, and the A-8 has VU-meters), and any other analog 8-tracks Fostex made?

How do I get the most out of it? What tapes to use and so on?

I've use tape recorders before, so I don't need info on recording to tape in general, but the Fostex A-8LR in particular.

Aything you know and any advice is appriciated. Thanks!!!!

Thanks

Wink

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by regebro:
    Now, I feel that I need more info on this little baby! Whats the difference between the A-8 and A-8LR? Whats the difference between the A-8 and the R-8 (except the obvious: The R8 had leds, and the A-8 has VU-meters), and any other analog 8-tracks Fostex made?
    How do I get the most out of it? What tapes to use and so on?
    Anything you know and any advice is appriciated. Thanks!!!!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I have the A-8 and the only real difference that I know of ,was the one you have records all 8 at once.
    There was a price difference of about $500.00 in 1984-basically, because the Original A-8 onluy had to have 4 Input Channels, The A-8LR had to have 8 Input channels-that was the difference as far as I could tell.
    These machines were always aimed at Home use/Songwriters.

They aren't bad machines really.

I suggest Quantegy tape. I got some of the last Batch of Ampex tape, we always used Ampex #456 7" reel.
    I never had a single problem with it.

Tim

Thanks

Wink

Thats what I suspected was the difference. It's fun to now buy the machine for less than what I had to pay to get the extra 4 input channels originally. :-)

I think it was the Qantegy 457 tapes somebody recomended earlier, and tried that one. If anybody has tried both I would be happy to know your experiences.

[This message has been edited by regebro (edited 06-25-2000).]

Thread Information