Fostex xr-7

TheJester

I have a basement band and wanted to record some stuff. I dont care if its perfect, but i want some quality (a step up from the getto blaster with sony headphones as a ex. mic)Is this 4-track any good? I havnt heard much reviews, is it used to hold up table ends or something? Is it as good as the Tascam 424 Mk2? ANY info on this product would be very useful. THANKS

Actually no, it may not be as good as the Tascam portastudio. My first 4-track was a fostex x-something. I've also owned two portastudios. If you want better sound in a cassette format you need to look for something that runs at double speed, 3 3/4 ips, as opposed to normal which is 1 7/8 ips. The Tascam 414 and 424 series do this. I don't know about the fostex.This gives you better resolution because twice the tape represents your sound, You can hear the difference! The Tascam also comes with built in dbx. The fostex does not. The Tascam also has much better aux returns/sends. Ever considered digital? Have you looked at the Fostex fd-4? I believe it's the same price as the Tascam you mentioned (minus the storage). Anyway, to answer your question, no, the fostex you mentioned is nowhere close to the Tascam you mentioned. I'ved owned them both ( I have a Fostex fd-8 now) and I can say that confidently.

Thanks. I thought about digital, but i only clear like $260 in two weeks (part t.) and i like the idea of analog, i thought digital dryed up the sound more, and it costs for space.YOu wouldnt know about a Fender p2 codenser mic would you? Is DBX better than Dolby c? Where you happy with the Tascam Mk2, did it give you that warm fuzzy feeling of recording your own stuff? Hehe ,sorry , thats all im after. Thanks for your time.

Jester,

About how much money do you have to spend? I just bought a Fostex FD-4i and have a Yamaha 4 track cassette with the speed mentioned above. I does a great job.....let me know.

Bruce

I really enjoyed my Portastudio, the xlr inputs were nice and it sounded great at double speed. With the dbx on those things, you just switch it to "on" the whole time. Dolby c is pretty bad, it just takes all the high end out. Anyway I can't believe I'm still talking about it. I mean , it's old technology and everything.How much are you spending? You can probably find a used fd-4 somewhere for under three-hundred bucks or so. I just sold mine for three-hundred with a zip drive and five discs. Yes, it is a colder sound. But aren't we use to that? considering everything is digital now. I miss analog warmth, but I'll never go back with my gear. It's quieter,no tape hiss, making it cleaner and clearer. Most of all it can make editing very easy , and faster. Undo is awesome! Anyway, back to the studio!........

Can someone tell me how to bounce tracks on the Fostex xr-7? Is 3 3/4 speed (pitch control not avail. in this mode) better than speeding the normal speed up with pitch, i cant really tell. Can this machine go through the VCR if i read about it? CAN ANYONE SEND ME A MANUAL....please..thank you. Im havin fun, i just want to find out how to use the whole thing. ONE MORE, my friends got auidio/ video ins on the back of his deck, 2L, 2R theres only 2 RCA stereo (and 3 momo) out on the multitrack, do i need splitters to go to the deck? Will any hiss (not to bad on my machine) go away it the mixed down tapes were mastered??? Thanks so much for the answers, it really has helped me get going, i would have liked to get a better machine...money did not permit..oh well, all in good fun!!

[This message has been edited by TheJester (edited 02-28-2000).]

Back