Thread: Fostex X26 problems

Thanks

Fostex X26 problems

Sign in to disable this ad
    I bought an X26 on ebay "non functioning" and I've been able to bring it back to life, barely. I had problems with what I perceived as motor noise, being amplified in the machine and coming through the outputs, but was able to work around that (if I let the machine run for a couple of minutes after turning it on the noise seemed to drop to a level barely noticeable). Now, however, after about three happy hours of recording, it is beginning to go into some new death throes, where it starts chopping sound like a bad tremolo on all channels and my recorded sounds are disappearing upon playback and turning into a garbled mess. If I put the same tape into a different machine, the tape plays beautifully, so it seems the problem is in the end/output amp area. My assumption is that some caps need replacing, but since there are about 50 electolytic capacitors inside, I don't know where to begin. Any and all ideas appreciated. Thanks!
    Last edited by Dick Name; 4 Weeks Ago at 22:22.

Thanks
    I'm gonna go ahead and see about replacing this motor. I'll report back with results.

Thanks
    Ok, so since the motor was seemingly functional, as in - it still spun, I really wanted to believe that the "motor sound" problem was something else, because I didn't want to face up to the idea that I would have to replace the motor, haha. I finally took the motor apart, and one of the three coils was much darker in color than the other two. So, what I think was happening, was the "motor sound" was obviously coming from a bad motor, and all of the following issues came from the motor overheating and messing with the audio circuitry. My next problem was that a quick google search for "Fostex X 26 Motor" only came up with one hit, and it was selling for about $150 for whatever reason. The part number from the motor didn't do any better. After a lot of digging I finally found another Sankyo motor that was at least visually the same as my motor. "Sankyo SHW2L DC Motor from PIONEER CT-W402R Stereo Double Cassette Deck" was the listing on ebay, and it was only about $15. I've just put the motor in, and realised that even though the polarity stamped into both motors is the same, my replacement spins in the opposite direction. I flipped the two of the four wires going to the motor around and fixed that issue. Finally, I cannot get the speed control to do anything. I've tried every combination of the four wires going to the four tabs on the motor, and the best I can do is have a working four track with no speed control. I'm happy it's funcional. I'm happy I haven't totally ruined the machine at some point along the way, but boy am I frustrated with the speed control. To me, having speed control is a huge part of a recording machine. Anyway, I thought I'd post all of this in case anyone else has the same problems with this machine, I couldn't find anything online relating to my issues when I began repairs.

Thanks
    Good to hear. So did this fix all of the other problems (recording, playback, etc.) as well?

Thanks for sharing your solution. The X-26 was my very first machine back in 1986 or so.

Thread Information