Fostex VF-16

bkursar

Hi there. I am looking to buy a multitrack recorder in the next day or so. I was wondering if anyone had the answers to these quetions:

How many tracks can be recorded simultaneously ?

How would one use the export to WAV feature ? Can it write on Windows
formatted Jaz Disks ? If not, how do I get the exported file to a Windows
PC, and I assume it does track by track exports.

Would I be able to export the tracks with their eq/effects settings intact,
or are only the raw tracks themselves exported without the eq/effects ?

Does the Fostex VF-16 support virtual tracks ?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks !

-Brian

Well, I'm kinda new at this but I just picked one up and I'm finding it very easy to use. I would highly recommend it. It will record 8 tracks simutaneously, (or 16 but you will get 2 each of the same thing) or 16 if connected to an ADAT. Export to WAV could be used to post a song on your website, mp3.com, or other web music sites. It can write to dos formatted disks, or input directly to a pc, or write to a SCSI disk. It does export file by file, letting you know if you do or don't have enough space on the medium (disk, hard drive, etc.)for the next file. As far as I can tell, all effects go with the export. This unit only has 8 virtual tracks (as compared with 256 with other units) but costing a thousand dollars less, I felt like 8 was O.K. That allowed me to buy other equipment with the leftover money. Let me know if you get one. Mark

[This message has been edited by markr (edited 06-30-2000).]

Bill, That's a good question. The manual is pretty vague. As this is my THIRD attempt to post a reply to you, (the first two got deleted somehow) I will send you an e-mail with the three paragraphs of info so hopefully I won't have to type them a 4th time. Bottom line; It looks like the only way to get an acurate answer will be to hook up a CD recorder in various ways and see what works.
Mark

Back