Fostex D160 eprom help.

Mr A

Hello all. I have recently acquired a D160 multitrack machine and also have a D90 on its way. Both sold as working, but the D90 sold for "spares". The main problem I have is that the D160 comes up with a "No Drive" error message and even after changing it out for a compatible model the error message stays the same. The panel initallises first and states the software is Version 2.12.
I have opened up the case and it looks like the EPROM chips are both missing? (I am not knowledgeable about this stuff). Can I use the EPROM chips from the D90? Is their a software update available?
If not can anyone point me in the right direction for a UK supplier?
Any help or reply would be very much appreciated (I am going crazy searching the web).

Attachments

• 20190613_174432[1].jpg
    20190613_174432[1].jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 6
  • 20190613_174515[1].jpg
    20190613_174515[1].jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 5
  • 20190613_174446[1].jpg
    20190613_174446[1].jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 6
  • 20190613_174702[1].jpg
    20190613_174702[1].jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 7
Update.

Hello all. I have recently acquired a D160 multitrack machine and also have a D90 on its way. Both sold as working, but the D90 sold for "spares". The main problem I have is that the D160 comes up with a "No Drive" error message and even after changing it out for a compatible model the error message stays the same. The panel initallises first and states the software is Version 2.12.
I have opened up the case and it looks like the EPROM chips are both missing? (I am not knowledgeable about this stuff). Can I use the EPROM chips from the D90? Is their a software update available?
If not can anyone point me in the right direction for a UK supplier?
Any help or reply would be very much appreciated (I am going crazy searching the web).

Well after a lot of research, I have the following information.

1: Fostex EPROM chips can not be swapped between a D90 and a D160.
2: EPROM chips with the latest software pre-programmed, are still available through the UK distributors.
3: The D160 was shipped with software either on a flash drive chip OR on EPROMS (check switch on motherboard).

Hope it helps anyone who is looking for the information.

Last edited:
Yes. Managed to purchase and install the latest eproms for £100. Bad news is someone had already 'pulled' the motherboard ribbon cable off and hot glued it back on without proper contact. Pretty sure that's why I was getting a 'no disc' error message all the time. I didn't want to pull it apart and re-seat the cable, as that's above my level of skill, so the D160 is still sitting packed away for future attention.
Good news is I bought an Alisis HD24 which works perfectly. So if anyone fancies a D160 for 'spares or repair', drop me a line.

Yes. Managed to purchase and install the latest eproms for £100. Bad news is someone had already 'pulled' the motherboard ribbon cable off and hot glued it back on without proper contact. Pretty sure that's why I was getting a 'no disc' error message all the time. I didn't want to pull it apart and re-seat the cable, as that's above my level of skill, so the D160 is still sitting packed away for future attention.
Good news is I bought an Alisis HD24 which works perfectly. So if anyone fancies a D160 for 'spares or repair', drop me a line.
I have a D80 that needs an eprom upgrade. Can you tell me where you got yours for the D160?

Back