Fostex 380S - Will tapes work with other recorders?

JiMoSiTY

Several years ago I had a Fostex 380S that I recorded quite a few demos with, but then ended up selling the 380S before mixing down some of the tapes.
I'd like to be able to mix these suckers down but since it would be a one time mix down - I can't justify spending much on a 4-track for such a short period of time.
I've been watching eBay for a 380S and they sometimes go for a little more than I'd hope to spend. Can anybody tell me if these tapes will be usable in another model of Fostex 4-track or if any other brand of 4-track can read them correctly??

Thanks!

Jim Rodgers
jim.rodgers@toneslave.com
http://jimosity.tzo.com

To my knowledge, all of those 4 track tape recorders record with the same method. I think if you threw that tape in a different 4 track it would work fine. Do you know anyone with a 4 track tape machine? Be sure to test it before you buy anything for sure.

turntablist said:
To my knowledge, all of those 4 track tape recorders record with the same method. I think if you threw that tape in a different 4 track it would work fine. Do you know anyone with a 4 track tape machine? Be sure to test it before you buy anything for sure.

What turntablist said. I have a bunch of 4-track cassettes that I recorded on my old Yamaha machine many years ago. The Yamaha is long gone, but I was recently able to throw them into a much newer Tascam 4-track (Portastudio 1) and they worked perfectly fine. Hissy as all get out, but that's one of the reasons I switched to the MR-8!

Back