Fd-8, what's a good mic for vocals and acoustics

kmar

Thank God I found this site today! I've been using a Sennheiser 421 with my fd-8(no pre-amp). To get good record levels, the noise level gets rediculous. I borrowed a RODE NT-1 a few weeks ago, it sounded great, with no pre-amp. If i get a pre-amp, will that make my Sennheiser perform much better? If I get a RODE, would a pre-amp make the RODE sound even better? Anyone have any RODE NTV experience or advice? Thanks!!

hi
you didnt use a preamp with the rode? you must have just used phantom power huh? anyways i use a akg c1000 and it sounds great. i mean for what im doing i dont think that a really expensive mic is needed i want it to sound good but its not like theyll be playing my demos on the radio anytime soon ya know? by the way i asked a question in this forum about formating zip disks could you do me a favor and check it out and tell me what you think?

thanks

Before I forget, what does the gremlin with the cig. and blindfold mean? I like him. There are several more that I don't see on my "smiles legend". Of course, my computer is a piece of crap. Maybe it just can't handle all that info!
Thanks for everyone's response to my topic! I agree, sure mics are hard to beat. And yes Pbass, the RodeNT-1 did have a phantom power supply. I will try to answer your Zip question, though I'm absolutely not a tech-head. I'm a writer/performer, who is stuck trying to learn this stuff because there is no other option! I also have a question about the FD-8 while I'm at it.(In a minute)

After looking around, I think I will go with the AudioTechnica 4033 mic, and the Tube MP mic pre-amp. The reason I want a decent mic, is that some of my material might end up on a "real project". Don't laugh, it happens all the time. Which leads me to my question: I assume you can dump from the FD-8 to ADAT (seperate tracks) digitally. To do so, do I have to format my drive disc in Master mode, or can it be in Normal mode? Anyone done that yet? (man, that was a brainful) Thanks Gang! kmar

Back