FD-8 / FD-4 general questions

Navin

How many simultaneous tracks can the FD-8 record? I have heard 2 but then I've also heard 8.

Also, I've heard that the ORB drive does not work with the FD-4, but it does with the FD-8. I get a feeling that this is wrong because I read that a lot of people that post here have FD-4's with ORB drives, and they work great, right?

Can't answer for sure about the FD-8, but I believe it records 2 tracks simultaneously, 4 if you use the s/pdif in and the mixer. I think it has an ADAT lightpipe, but that may be out only.

On the other hand, I can answer on the Orb. I have used it with my FD-4 and been very, VERY pleased. I talk about the Orb a lot in this forum, yet they won't send me any endorsement money. And that is my only complaint about the Orb. All the folks who I have written to that have had problems with the Orb either bought a non-SCSI version (and you need a SCSI verion) or they had their drive ID setting set wrong. Otherwise, it has worked flawlessly.

Hope that helps.

Peace, Jim

2 analog tracks at a time (through the built in mixer), 4 if you use the s/pdif in with something like a digital mixer, 8 if you use the ADAT in.

I have an old analog 8 channel mixer. Could I use an output on that to go into the FD-8's s/pdif in? I'm guessing no but I want to make sure.

Also, on the recording two tracks at once question, couldn't I use a HI-Z to LO-Z adapter like from Audio-Technica? Would that verifiably get me another usable preamp with which to record? Am way in left field here?

[This message has been edited by Navin (edited 05-25-2000).]

Back