fd-8 bleed and noise

ricvenus

I'm very pleased with my fd-8 ecept for one matter and it may be my ignorance. Help me if you can. This has happened with all 4 songs I've recorded. 1)I input into track 4 or 5 a
line out from either my Carvin acoustic amp or my Moss Valve amp. My bass guitar is plugged into that amp. 2) I record while
listening to tracks 1-3 or 1-4 and what I hear through the headphones is great. 3)When
I play back, however, the bass track seems
to have picked up a muted version of the previous tracks, quite a bit of hiss, and the
bass notes are distorted. I've recorded at all levels and this still occurs. What might I be doing wrong? This doesn't happen for any other instrument or vocal. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

Any time you record on to an even # track you pan the input pan all the way right, an odd track all the way left. This way , you don't always have to plug in to the input channel# corresponding to the track # of which you wish to record on .( ex.: rec on trk2 (panned rght) from channel 8 (panned rght)even if something is recorded on trk 8 it won't bleed on to trk2 because of how the selector switch is set . Secondly, the selector switch (input/off/TRK) for all other channels you want to hear back should be switched to off, (you hear these through the monitor section of course, turning towards the TRK side). Do not have any of the other channels going through the aux sends for effects. About the noise, I've never had any luck using the line out of a bass amp. It's an amplifier, it amplifies, even the noise. It's not that bad when your jamming live, it's pretty negligible. But in to a board is another story. Ever try directly into the board? Even pro albums are made this way. The best bass sound I've ever got is direct with a Monster Bass cable. They're expensive, but with digital, you will hear the difference. You'll need to use the mic preamps on your fd-8, but very carefully. My bass player can't do it without distorting. I've discovered that the mic preamps on the FD-8 or fd-4 are very crappy for some things. Not bad for vocals or acoustic guitar. But for louder guitar sounds they're worthless. I just ordered a mic preamp. I just got my FD-8 (I upgraded from an fd-4) and started our latest cd, and now, I have to stop production because the preamps are shit! My drummer mixed his kit through a Mackie board and in to my machine and it sounds great.

Back