FD-4 vs BR-8?

bahead

I'm an acoustic fingerstyle guitarist focusing on instrumentals, although I will be doing some vocals and overdubs. My interest is in cutting my own CD's for friends and family.

I've previously used a Fostex 4-track cassette and I'm looking at digital multitrackers. In my price range (which is under $800 US), I've narrowed it down to the Fostex FD-4 (with internal 4.3GB HDD) and the Boss BR-8.

The FD-4 appears to win in terms of recording time, ease of use, and backup options (zip, SCSI). The BR-8 wins in terms of number of tracks and onboard effects. Biggest drawback to the BR-8 I can see it that it is using 100 mb zips instead of 250, and also that it uses compression during recording.

I guess I'm just looking for some advice about which way I should go... I'll post this in the Roland forum too.

I have an FD-4i. It has an internal hard drive but, I bought an Orb drive because I can fit so much music time on it and a 2.2 gig disk is only about $30. I record drums, keyboards, guitar, vocals, etc....and I have had great results. And the acoustic material I do comes out flawless. It might pay to by an FD-4 with an internal drive and go with an Orb drive. You'll be happier and save money in the long run.
Later
Bruce

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bbbmusic:
I bought an Orb drive because I can fit so much music time on it and a 2.2 gig disk is only about $30.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've noticed a lot of discussion about the Orb drive in this forum. That's the first I've heard of this drive before...is there a webpage I can go to?

Thanks.

Hey man,

You can go for the FD-8 and still be in your budget. I recommend the external Zip 250 . I have had no problems with mine. And the ease of use thing is really a plus

Wow (BBBMUSIC, Another CHEESEHEAD!) this site is full of wisconsin people

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Top Jimmy:
I recommend the external Zip 250 .
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That would be my preference as my girlfriend has a Zip 250 too... she uses USB although I seem to recall that there was also a SCSI port on there too. Does the SCSI come with an alternate USB connection?

What about recording modes? I understand from the documentation that there are some limitations on recording in mastering mode using the Zip (e.g., as opposed to internal drives).

Also, what is the actual format of the file that is recorded? I understand it is uncompressed.

Thanks for your help.

For the money you are looking to spend, the FD-8 might work in there, especially used (check the used equipment forum, I believe PBbass has one for $650 or something like that). For the money, I think the Orb drive is hard to beat--except that there are so many Zip owners out there to swap with. So the question ia compatability (Zip) or MUCH more memory for the buch (Orb).

Another thought, for that type of money, you should be able to get into a Roland VS880 used or the VS-840 new. It would give you the tracks you need plus the FX. Just food for thought. As for the BR-8. I hear lots of nice things about it but the time limitation would make me think twice. Also, it doesn't look too well constructed from the pictures I've seen.

Peace, Jim

In reference to the recording modes--the Orb drive will allow all three modes on the FD-4. I would guess it is capable of all recording modes on the FD-8 as well.

Anyone interested in the Orb, you can find the info at the Castlewood website. At www.castlewood.com I believe. Check out Buy.com for prices (they seemed to have about the cheapest.

Peace, Jim

[This message has been edited by Jim Marquard (edited 05-25-2000).]

Back