FD-4 (or FD-8) scsi drive options and other ??

Jim Marquard

First - your Fostex software version (at least in my case) was on a sticker on the box. It probably appears somewhere during start up as well. Check the manual to double check the start up sequence.

As for a back up alternative. I am the big pusher of the Orb Drive, especially when it comes to cost per memory space. But if you find $229 too much (that includes one 2.2 gb disc, btw) then maybe a Zip Drive might be more up your ally. I've seen 100 mb Zip drives for $100 dollars and I imagine that includes 1 or 2 discs. After that, 100 mb discs go for @ $10. Its the discs that will cost you alot of mony in the long run. If you have a computer with alot of space and sound card with s/pdif i/o then you could do a dump onto the computer. Otherwise, I think $100 is going to be the cheapest.

What size is the hard drive on your FD-4? If it is 1 gb or larger, you might as well get the Orb Drive. Especially if you plan on dumping large amounts of data instead of one song at a time.

My two-cents worth.

Peace, Jim

I have a 270 MB HD in the FD4, I'm finding the Syjet (1.5 GB) new drives on Ebay going for around $35-$40 and the cartridges are $30 new, quite a bit more economical than the zip alternative.

My software manual says 1.1, but their website mentions a 1.19 version, so I'm wondering if there is a way to upgrade to the most recent versions. Thanks for the info

I'm a newbie, co please pardon my ignorance. Has anyone ever used any Syjet drives on a FD4 or 8? I just bought a FD4 with internal hard drive and am looking for a CHEAP backup drive to move data off the HD when necessary. I've seen orbs recommended but I really want something cheap right now. Also, is there any way for users to check their software version on the FD4 or apply upgraded versions from the company, and how do you get these?

Back