exporting wav files to mr-8

darknailblue

hey wuts up kids... listen to the setup.... ive got an mr-8 a jstation and a computer with fruity loops and cakewalk guitar tracks on it. Im using the computer as a sequencer and a drum loop creator... with fruity loops i have been able to create some pretty slammin drum tracks using some great sounding samples... question is... how do i setup the mr - 8 to assign the drum track wav file that i've created to specific tracks? the reason i want to do this is because i have no sense of time and that little click just annoys the hell outta me when i record.... playing along with the drums is MUCH better. soo0o0o0o0o0o0o... what do i do?

I KNOW HOW!!! well sort of...

Okay... I have an idea of what to do.... but now.... how do I do it? My question is now.... what is the language of the *.adl file.... with my computer i can use notepad to edit it, I'm just not exactly sure how to.... Any IDEAS?!?! HELP!

I had a friend send me an mp3 that I converted to a wav file. Unfortunately I have not figured out a way to xfer it to the MR-8 through the use of the wav manager. I get the impression that the wav manager oNLY WORKS WITH WAV FILES RECORDED ON THE MR-8, since when I send some tracks back to the mr-8 that I had recorded earlier, they went back to their original track assignments. I.e track 1 went back to track 1 on the MR-8.

This might not be what you want to to do but I am gonna try sending a stereo out from my sound card (using a 1/8 inch to 2 1/4 inch adapters thus recording stereo tracks to mr MR-8. I know it is digital to analog back to digital but it may be the only thing I can do. I hope other experiment with this and let me know if they can find a better way.

clif

have yall read the readme file or whatever comes with the wavmanager? I havent had any problems with it. You have to make sure the wav file you want to send is a mono 44.1/16 bit file. then you have to rename it to "tr01.wav" or whatever track you want it to go to on the mr8. If you do all that it should work right.

Ahhh, I do this all the time. Ensure it is a 16 bit wav file, convert to mono, rename it with the same file names that the MR 8 recognises i.e. tr01.wav, tr02. wav, etc.. Then, use the wav manager to export from pc to the card. Thats it.

dyuob said:
Ahhh, I do this all the time. Ensure it is a 16 bit wav file, convert to mono, rename it with the same file names that the MR 8 recognises i.e. tr01.wav, tr02. wav, etc.. Then, use the wav manager to export from pc to the card. Thats it.

ohhhh thanks! but how do I convert it to mono? When I convert an mp3 it turns into a stereo wave track.

clif

you need some sort of wav editor. i use cool edit, but im sure you can find some free ware that can convert it to mono.

yeah.... thats what i figured.... but it doesn't work... im trying to export a drum track to the mr-8 and its mono 16-bit and 44100 sampling rate... and it doesn't work... as far as renaming goes... u can name it whatever u want to. I rename all my files something else like "Guitar1Left.wav" because mr80001.wav just confuses me... all you have to do is edit the projects adl file (which is programmed almost EXACTLY like HTML). What I'm doing now is exporting the track to a wav file using cakewalk guitar tracks... Im not sure but I think cakewalk puts some sort of signature on the wav file it that the mr-8 can't read... i dunno....

I'm using Cake walks Clubtracks, which allows me to save as a mono file, when I do that I just name it in accordance with the MR 8 system (which, I have found, if I'm making a track just for reference, I make 2 mono files of it, and call the tr07.wav and tr08.wav, that way it frees up the first 4 tracks, which I then use to make 4 different takes) Incidently, iirc, clubtracs should be going on sale at musicians friend for ~us$10.00 real soon.
Just remeber, the MR 8 only "sees" files that are named tr01.wav, etc., if you want to export back into it. And they have to be mono, 16 bit.

dyuob said:
I'm using Cake walks Clubtracks, which allows me to save as a mono file, when I do that I just name it in accordance with the MR 8 system (which, I have found, if I'm making a track just for reference, I make 2 mono files of it, and call the tr07.wav and tr08.wav, that way it frees up the first 4 tracks, which I then use to make 4 different takes) Incidently, iirc, clubtracs should be going on sale at musicians friend for ~us$10.00 real soon.
Just remeber, the MR 8 only "sees" files that are named tr01.wav, etc., if you want to export back into it. And they have to be mono, 16 bit.

so you are saying that i can do this with the club tracks program going on sale? Either way I think I will take advantage of it:)

clif

Thats what I've been doing, it has 8 tracks and several nice effects as well, so, for me, at least, it really makes a great editor.
Heres a picture of what it looks like, saving as a mono file.

Attachments

• clubtracks.jpg
    clubtracks.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 79
clif
If you are going from your soundcard (1/8 stereo) to the mr-8 (2-1/4 mono) aren't you converting it to mono on 2 tracks? I don't know about this wavemanager you guys are talking about. I got absolutely no software with my unit. Am I missing something?

For some odd reason Fostex didn't include it with the system, and the only way i found it was by nosing around the Japanese and International sites. It's the wavmanager that "sees" only certain files (labeled tr01.wav, etc.) and allows you to import and export mono wav files very easily. (ok, it really does see all the wav files in the folder, but only allows you to move the mono 16 bit files named tr etc.) What is really cool, is I would take just fragments of songs, import them from the MR 8, assemble them into a song, and then make it into a mono .wav file, and then export back into the MR 8 to record more parts to the song. The one drawback is you can only move files from the folder that the wavmanager is in, you can't specify where you want it to "look". At least thats what I've found so far....hmmmm,

Wav Manager was not released with the Mr-8. That 'Masaki' dude on their web site said it would be released shortly after the MR-8. Unfortunately they released to all sites except American...

Thanks for the link and the info gentlemen! This opens up an entirely new world to me, as I have tried different ways (unsuccessfully) to do exactly what this program does!

bd

Back