electrical noise killing my recording!

doughulin

I live in an old building in Brooklyn NYC and I find that quite a bit of the time I will get electrical noise coming through my audio equipment (stereos, cassette player, amps, and my vf160). It seems to fluctuate with the weather, I find that humidity seems to exacerbate the problem. Anyway, yesterday I was trying to record a friend at home and the noise was so overbearing (not volume-wise, just omnipresent) that I decided I need to deal with it or recording at home is pointless.

So, my question is, what is the best way to eliminate the noise on the vf160? This is not noise from the vf160's drive, or noise from pedals (none in use), or noise from pickups, it seems like no matter what I plug in the noise is the same so I'm assuming it's unrelated to what I'm plugging in or the vf160 itself, and as I said it comes out of my stereo in the other room. Would the solution be to insert some sort of noise-elimination pedal into the signal path? This is about all I can think of, barring the existence of some magical noise-killing power supply I could plug the vf160 into. Anyone ever dealt with this problem or can point me in the right direction? Again, this noise is inherent to the wiring in my apartment. Thanks.

Doug

p.s. Unfortunately asking my landlord to rewire the building is out of the question!

I don't know if it will do anything, but try a power conditioner. (Furman) It just might help.

of course

Thanks Jason, that's why I love this site. I'll go that route next, after doing a little research it looks like they have quite a few options that could take care of my problem.

Cheers.

not cheap but easy

well, this may be an easy suggestion, but not cheap.

buy a medium to larger size computer grade UPS.

run the vf160 off it and see if it helps.

on battery power you should eliminate the mains all toghether.

some of the bigger UPS have ripple filters built into them.

just a thought

Doug, before spending serious money try Ferrite beads clipped to the power leads of your gear. This works to eliminate RF from transmitting equipment and should at least help if not cure your problem.

Chris

Back