DMT-8

heupel

I have a Fostex DMT-8 dig. recorder but no dat. I was wondering if there is any software u can use to backup the tracks to my computer and be able to upload them back to the recorder like u could with dat?
thanx for the help

I have the DMT-8vl, which also uses the DAT storage method. I think you can follow the same method of storage to CD or hard drive, provided there is no automatic start-IDs that are written, and no data compression. The 8vl outputs a continuous signal of the tracks sequentially, stored as uncompressed digital audio --- broken only by a Fostex code signal between pairs of tracks. So in principle any digital recorder without compression can work. However, I confess that I haven't tried any other methods.

P.s. I would be interested in buying a used DMT-8 or 8vl if you or anyone esle wants to sell --- let me know here!

Thanx, I kind of thought u could but havent tried it yet....Also thought about loading one track at a time on to n-trax. About the Used DMT-8, I have seen several on E-bay the last few weeks. They were used and from $600 up. A lot cheaper than I paid

Can you tell me what features are on the DMT-8, as opposed to the 8vl? The 8vl is pretty simple really, with only a bare bones mixer and only 2 A/D converters. I like the uncompressed 16-bit/44k recording, although I wished I could record to 8 tracks simultaneously.

Hi,
My friend and I just linked our two DMT8's together via spdif and midi...
I was wondering if anyone knew how many minutes across tracks you can record with the origional 540mb HD?

Also what is the OS update for the DMT8 and how do I get my hands on it?

I want to upgrade the HD, but am not sure which company to buy... any advise?

BTW - After a little bit of hassle the machines sync great!!!

Thanks,

Josef

Vapourtrail:
The original Fostex you are referring to will hold only 13 (!) total minutes of music.
They changed it to a 1.3 GB drive which will hold 34 minutes.

I've been told that you can go as large as 8.4 gig ...quantam 7200 rpm was the one that I was told about

[This message has been edited by dondottcomm (edited 03-27-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by heupel:
I have a Fostex DMT-8 dig. recorder but no dat. I was wondering if there is any software u can use to backup the tracks to my computer and be able to upload them back to the recorder like u could with dat?
thanx for the help
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

All you need is a soundcard with spdif optical in and out which will do 44.1 khz. DMT-8 backs up to DAT at CD quality ie. 44.1, so use standard wave recording software (which you probably already have) to record the DMT-8 backup as a 44.1 khz stereo .WAV file. The result should be identical to that which would be produced on a DAT machine. NB. The cues which prompt the upload are recorded in the backup. Also, if you have a CD writer you should then be able to transfer the backup to CD which is cheaper than DAT and will free up hard disk space.

Back