D2424 - 25' VGA cable on remote - Blammo!!

molokoplus

Sooo ... don't ever try using a VGA cable that APPEARS to be a 15 pin cable for your remote extender. I did this a few hours ago and experienced the world's tiniest barbecue; the small pc board (that the 15 pin female remote connector is attached to) fried a few diodes the instant I powered up the machine. Fortunately, the part is only $20 from Fostex's parts Dept. Well, I hope the damage doesn't continue further down the circuit back to the CPU. (Yikes!)

Anyone else either experience this or hear of it happening?

BTW: The D2424 is a totally underrated machine. I think it's brilliant. It's strange that one doesn't see more of them in use. I've got the older, non-LV model and think it sounds and works extremely well.

cheers,
Marc Chevalier

I used the same type of cable for quite some time with no problems like that at all. Also, I don't really like my 2424. You wanna buy it?

I've been told there are some cables with a few pins missing that will cause mishaps do to a disconnected system ground.

Just out of curiosity, why are you dissatisfied with your D2424? Do you own the D2424 or D2424LV? If it's the D2424, do you also have the Hammerfall card that some earlier D2424s came with?

I may have a buyer, perhaps.

cheers,
Marc Chevalier

I guess that could definately be true if the cable was missing pins. I have the D2424LV I believe. The newer one with the DVD-RAM back-up drive in it. What I really hate the most is what happens if the power goes out while a track is being recorded. It doesn't just stop recording, but it actually loses the WHOLE track. That I can not live with. My only other complaint I can live with but wish I did not have to. I don't like that the inputs are only globally assigned to either analog or digital rather than in pairs like on the Alesis HD24. Other than that, the Fostex really has been a pretty good machine:) I love the removable faceplate and the fact that it comes stock with all the I/O. My D2424 (LV?) did not come with a hammerfall card. However, I already had a Hammerfall 96/52 in my Tower and that I do love, but I may sell that as well to buy the newer one:D

Well, only a week's time and $20 (+shipping) later, my D2424 is cooking with gas again. If this ever happens to anyone out there, let this serve as your guide to how to fix the beast. No soldering invloved, either.

Fostex parts Dept. (562) 921-1112

Part # 8274287000 $19.44
PCB Assembly

You have to remove the outer case, the rack mount reinforcements and the faceplate ... then move the hard drive bay out of the way of the connector that attaches to the Main PC board below.Plug in this connector. Then plug in the connector leading to the power supply board and you're back to life .... Piece of cake. The whole job took 20 minutes - and saved about $150-$200 in repair shop expenses.

regards,
Marc

xstatic said:
I guess that could definately be true if the cable was missing pins. I have the D2424LV I believe. The newer one with the DVD-RAM back-up drive in it. What I really hate the most is what happens if the power goes out while a track is being recorded. It doesn't just stop recording, but it actually loses the WHOLE track. That I can not live with. My only other complaint I can live with but wish I did not have to. I don't like that the inputs are only globally assigned to either analog or digital rather than in pairs like on the Alesis HD24. Other than that, the Fostex really has been a pretty good machine:) I love the removable faceplate and the fact that it comes stock with all the I/O. My D2424 (LV?) did not come with a hammerfall card. However, I already had a Hammerfall 96/52 in my Tower and that I do love, but I may sell that as well to buy the newer one:D

how much are you asking?

Yep the same thing happened to my D2424LV... RADIO S***K cable! I took it in to a Fostex repair centern and 200 bucks later it works fine.

thanks
for the part number, I hope I never need it!
Dom Franco

didnt want to start a new thread.

I picked up a new vga cable because it had the femal hex nuts so the male connector on the display end could lock into the extension cable.

EDIT: Can’t post link to the cable.

Prior to getting this cable I had a monoprice cable that worked fine—its just that it didn’t have the female hex nuts on the end that connects to the display and i always wanted to find a cable that had the hex nuts.,,

anyway, I think this cable I purchased caused the exact same issue (screen went “blammo” ) and, I wanted to know if anyone still lurks on this sub forum, and still uses a d2424 (or any of the D series that has detachable faceplates) , what cable are you using for the vga extension cable? A link to one would be fine.

in the meantime, if any d2424LV users are out there, let me know if this has ever happened to you. the part numbers for the replacement are listed, but I’m not sure if they are still available ( i have an email in to the FOSTEX repair here in LA).

cheers all.

in the meantime, if any d2424LV users are out there, let me know if this has ever happened to you. the part numbers for the replacement are listed, but I’m not sure if they are still available ( i have an email in to the FOSTEX repair here in LA).

Happened to my D2424LV mk2 last summer. The Fostex UK distributor said that the interconnect board which typically fails in this model due to invalid cable is part no 8274351000 and they still had it in stock as of last June, but that there can be other damage as well. In my case, in addition to the interconnect the power supply had taken a hit. Luckily for me, the former local distributor was able to repair both by actually replacing individual components so didn't need expensive spare boards.

The key to the extension cable is that all the 15 pins must go straight through, and there are no cross-connected pins, that's what the official extension cable is like. Unless can either verify this with a multimeter by yourself or a vendor statement from the cable creator, don't try your luck. A huge number of VGA extension cables have at least the ground pins cross-connected, which is exactly how my device got fried.

Last edited:
Standard VGA wiring I found had pins 10,8,7,6 and 5 all tied to ground so that could have taken out a supply rail.
But the manual I found for the recorder shows two NINE pin "D"s on the rear?

Dave.

This thread is about the extension cable for the detachable front control panel, those rear remote in/thru connectors are something completely different - as per the manual: "External RS-422 control signal (SONY 9PIN PROTOCOL or Fostex System Exclusive Message) is input here to control this recorder." The manual doesn't waste words on the topic, but this seems to be for chaining multiple devices via a single controller (first D2424 in the chain or maybe a computer)

Back