D160 backup

markert

I was wondering what the scsi connection on my d160 does. Can I hook an external scsi cdr directly to the d160? Otherwise, what is this connection used for?

Thanks

There are very few CD-R drives that actually _work_ on that SCSI connection. Zip, Jaz, Orb, and regular external SCSI hard drives usually do. Unfortunately, external CD-R's usually _don't_, unless you accidentally have one of the few supported drives: the Fostex uses a very funny protocol, and my Yamaha didn't work at all. To find out what is actually supported, look here:

http://www.fostex.co.jp/int/hdlist/media.html

For your unit, that means the Panasonic LF-1000 CD-R, and _nothing_ else. The Panasonic DVD-RAM is supposed to work, also- if you can find one...

I've found the SCSI port to be just about the least usable from of backup for these units. I prefer to fly the tracks over to my DAW via lightpipe, and back them up there. Sneakernetting a disk from the Fostex to a DAW strikes me as being pretty much useless, and their SCSI backup procedure is pretty limited and awkward as hell...

Back