cant get my new used g16 to record

rockabillyfool

I have a g16 that i need help with. i am engaging the tracks, they meter, and the record light goes on, but it does not record. there is a key pad with a safe/rdy button but i dont know how to use it. there are othere buttons too that i dont know how to use. i am a guy used to older 2 inch decks and adats, can someone fill me in as i have no book for this unit. thanks

Normally you'd simply hold record then press play, if I recall correctly. All tracks should be in the 'ready' and not the 'safe' position prior.

Hey rock,

Drop down near the bottom of the forums index list to the Analogue Forum, that's where you will find the R2R people usually hangin' out and they are the ones who may be able to help.

:cool:

You must make absolutely sure,...

that the tape is threaded correctly, and oriented properly on the reel.

You'd be surprised, at how common a mistake improper tape threading is, & that it's somehow perplexing to new users. And, it's easier than you might think, to wind the tape upside-down on the reel, without even knowing it.

In general, not to insult your intelligence, but just for reference, with most tape, such as 456, the record-side is shiny brown, and the backing side of the tape is dull black.

Also, when you arm the track for "record-ready", the LED should flash, and when you engage Record, the [track-arming] LED should go solid red, as well as the LED above the Record button, itself.

Tape threading,... back to that subject,... should be simple, but it's surprising how many people get it wrong. Check the manual, if you have it available. Also, the Fostex machines have a tape head shield, that's retractable, and sometimes new users thread the tape over the head-shield, thinking it's the head. The head shield is a spring loaded gizmo, that retracts when pushed down, and the actual heads are located underneath the shield.

You probably have one, or a combination of the above simple procedural problems. Good luck.

Back