can any vf160 users explain BUSS recording?

getupkid0717

ok, so ive tried to let my confusing manual explain this to me but im still unsure about the function of BUSS recording. does this mean that i can take multiple scource inputs and record to one single track?

this could be good but i guess i have to do all of my eq, effect, and level adjustments while recording.

let me know if anyone uses this or how it can be benefitial for my recordings.

thanks for the help.

getupkid0717 said:
ok, so ive tried to let my confusing manual explain this to me but im still unsure about the function of BUSS recording. does this mean that i can take multiple scource inputs and record to one single track?

this could be good but i guess i have to do all of my eq, effect, and level adjustments while recording.

let me know if anyone uses this or how it can be benefitial for my recordings.

thanks for the help.

Yes that's essentially correct... You can take various inputs and record them to one or two tracks.

I don't use it that much, but it did come in handy before I got my MG10/2 and ART mic pres... If I knew I was going to live mic multiple tracks, I would utilize the XLR inputs (of which there are only two) and buss record them to channels other than 7/15 - 8/16 ... This saved me from having to swap out tracks to free up my XLR's...

Hope this helps!

:)

An attempt at explaining how to use Buss Record mode

Buss Record mode simply allows you to record to a track other than the "default" track for a given input. Example: In "Direct Record" mode, if you have a signal going into channel "1/9/A", then the track you would record to would be Track #1. If you record in "Buss Record" mode, you could "buss" the signal onto any track that you wanted. So, even though the signal is coming into channel "1/9/A", you could record it the signal onto track #12, for example. This is helpful when recording using the XLR inputs, since there are only 2 XLR inputs on your VF-16 and you'll probably want to record more than 2 tracks using those XLR inputs. (You could use the "Track Exchange" function to move tracks around, but that can get confusing).

And you do NOT have to set EQ or effects when you record. That's all done during the playback/mixdown process, AFTER you record your tracks.

Here's a post from a couple of weeks ago where I also attempted to help about somebody who was confused by Fostex's terrible documentation:

---------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzlano
hey dave -

A student of mine has a VF160ex, and considering I've never used these all in ones before,,,,,,,multitracking seems a bit weird.

Ex, I can arm and track on track one,,,,,,while plugged into input 1.

As soon as I arm track 2, (still plugged into 1) it tracks on track "a". Is there not a way for us to be able to stay plugged into input 1 and fill the rest of the tracks up before we bounce?

Sounds silly, but I have a pretty expansive studio set up,,,,,,,but these digital all in ones always throw me for a loop !

Any help is appreciated !

Great song by the way !
---------------------------------------
Reply by rboyce_boston:

The short answer is...

use "Buss Record" mode instead of "Direct Record" mode (Fostex's terminology, not mine).

Best to read the manual to understand how to do it using your student's VF-160. Basically, you select which input you want to use (in your case, input "A") and then you arm the track you want to record to (in your case, track "2").

It sounds like you are using (by default) the "Direct Record" mode, which basically means you record to the track that corresponds directly to the input channel. So, in "Direct Record" mode, if you want to record on track 2, you put your input signal input channel "B" (or "2/10").

The reason that input channel "B" is marked as "2/10" is...

If you use an external ADAT mixer or mic preamp (like the ADA8000) to pump 8 channels of ADAT into the VF-160 via lightpipe, then the inputs on the VF-160 will record to tracks 9-16 (instead of 1-8, which is the default). The 8 channels of ADAT will record to tracks 1-8.

Hope that helps.

ray

Back