Best Buy return policy (re: Compact flash Cards)

dyuob

The following is the reply I received concerning their return policy.
Looks like if the card does not work, it can be returned!
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thank you for contacting Best Buy about returns. I'm Molly with Consumer Relations.

We'd be happy to explain our return policy. We at Best Buy are always disappointed when a purchase is returned, as we hope that you would be completely satisfied with every purchase you make. We do provide a 30-day return and exchange period for the majority of products. If the 30 days have elapsed since purchase, we will be unable to honor return or exchange requests.

We provide a fourteen-day return and exchange period for all computers, monitors, printers, camcorders, digital cameras and radar detectors. If the 14 days have elapsed since purchase, we will be unable to honor return or exchange requests.

Opened items including computer software, movies, video games, or music are non-returnable. We do accept exchanges for the same title if the one you purchased or received was defective. These policies are posted at the checkout lanes and customer service counter, as well as on the back of all receipts.

We look forward to your next visit to one of our stores or to www.BestBuy.com. Please do not hesitate to contact us with additional questions or concerns.

Best wishes from Best Buy,
Molly and the Consumer Relations Team

TRACKING NUMBER: A00001545127-00005693432

-----Original Message-----

Sent: 31 Dec 02 13:37:36
To: cr@bestbuy.com
Cc:
Subject: CR Return/Exchange Questions

The following email was received from:
Name: XXXXXXXXXX
Email: XXXXXXXXXX
Phone: XXXXXXXXXX
Store Number: 52
Want Response: Y
Comments: What is your return policy regarding compact flash cards if they don't work in the device they were purchased for. i own a digital multi track recorder, and some compact flash cards won't work with it, and the only way to find out is to try it.
thank you for your time. END OF COMMENTS

My concern would still be that nasty packaging some cards come in that requires destruction to open. High speed 256 cards where about $180 at circuit city - we'll need to do better than that!

The Fostex web site has an FAQ section which shows what brands/capacities of Compact Flash Cards have been tested with the MR-8. The FAQ section also gives the names of some distributors where the recommended brands can be obtained. The cost is significantly less than what Best Buy charges. One can actually purchase a 512-MB card for less than what Best Buy charges for a 256.

a12stringer - The problem is that users have bought cards that are listed on the Fostex "approved" list and have found out they don't all work. Until Fostex gets this worked out, we really need a supplier that will take returns. As I listed on another thread, CompUSA carried the Memorex, but charges 15% restocking if it doesn't work in the MR-8.

Mea Culpa. Mea Culpa.
That of course is the problem with a relatively new technology. Until the manufacturers of the CF cards subscribe to uniform manufacturing standards, the quality will be uneven.

So many of the "manufacturers" are really just marketing companies - many of them used the Toshiba card and sold it under a different name. I'm sure much of the difficulty stems from Ridata switching suppliers. It's unfortunate that places like Best Buy, that take returns, charge so much more for a high speed card than websites do.

Have you guys checked out ebay for cards. I was searching for some of the "approved" cards and came up with a few online photo shops that carry some of the brands...at a discount compared to local retailers in my area.

I was going to check photo shops - that sounds like I great source. The guy at CompUSA said that some digital camera's are starting to have trouble with certain cards, so maybe they will get a little more flexible regarding exchanges.

Will they match website prices, or just other stores? I've seen people trying to get those deals in Office Max and being told "unless it's on the shelf next door, we won't match price."

Worth checking out, though, if we can get the cards for half the price along with a cool return policy!

We have a camera shop in town that carries high end equipment and they have alot of the brands listed on the Fostex site as "approved".

they are quite expensive..i think the lexar 256 high speed 24x was around $159.00

I found a Ridata 256 for $88.95 from an ebay store.

Found the Lexar on an ebay store for $139.00

User have reported problems with the Ridata, which have been verified by Fostex.

I'm going to send Memorex an email asking if the card they sell through CompUSA is, in fact, a Toshiba card like the Fostex site indicates. If so, that would make it the same as the card that ships with the MR-8. and at $99 for 256MB, the best deal I've seen "over the counter" for a verified card.

...I just checked the Fostex site to get the Toshiba info and it turns out they have pulled down the list of cards while they retest and come up with a new list.

I had e-mailed Fostex about the compatibility problems people seem to be having with the CompactFlash cards and the MR-8. Earlier this afternoon I received this reply:

"We just finished the updated software for the MR-8 to cope with the compatibility problems, it will be posted in our site as early as next week."

I need to ask them how one will go about downloading the software and installing it to the MR-8.

That's fantastic! Has to make me laugh when thinking about the Tascam, though, where users had to wait six months for a patch to repair data loss issues, yet all they did was tout how the PS5 was superior due the "upgradable OS".

Here we are a couple months since the unit shipped and Fostex is already releasing an update.

As far as installation, there should be a link on the Fostex site that will contain a file that will need to be copied to the MR-8 - that's how most of these things work. Five minutes and it will be painless (famous last words...)

How exactly would this transfer take place? How would you get the info into the MR8? something to do with the USB? and because i use a card reader (because of windows 98) would this prohibit me from updating this???

It should just be a case of copying a file (or two) to the card and re-starting the MR-8. I'm also using Win98, and can't see any reason why it would require USB. These things are designed to look for a certain type of file on the card and update the system if it is found.

Considering that they are having problems with the compact flash cards, I can't see it being any bigger than the card that came with the system.

I received an e-mail from Fostex today which had attached the updated listed of "approved" CF cards.
Also attached was the latest software. Apparently, the problems have been related to formatting codes built into the CF cards themselves. Fostex has fixed this problem.

This information has not yet been posted to their website.

Back