Auto punch in/out with FD-8

kmar

It's time I learned how to use the auto punch function for this machine. Thing is, if it's as complicated as the "erase track" or "erase data" function, I'm screwed. I followed the manual in the "erase data" section and it did not work. Someone here on the board spelled it out to me step-by-step (God Bless him) and it was a peice of cake. (Nothing like what the manual said)
So, can anyone tell me, is the manual correct in the section on auto punch in/out? Or will I have to pay someone here on the board to spell it out? Thanks- kmar

still need help?

yeah, the manual for the FD-8 is pretty lame, but I did decipher the punch-in/out, and now it's second nature. I'll gladly give you the run down if you still need it.

Pitchfork...
Yes, if it won't suck the life out of you, I would greatly appreciate any info... kmar

OK:
First you need to put it on the auto punch clipboard. There are six buttons under the word "preview". You need to assign the punch-in spot and the punch-out spot with the auto punch-in and out buttons (2nd and 3rd buttons from the left). While the song is playing, when you get to the point you want to punch in, hit store, then in right above it. At the punch out location hit store again, then out. You don't have to do these on the same pass (often times it's just easier not to actually, especially if it's tight). It matters when you hit store...that will be the location point. By hitting the in or out button afterwards just assigns that location to that button. So you want to make sure that the locations are correct: just hit the auto punch-in button and look at the time displayed...do the same for the auto punch-out.

To record this, do the following (there is a way to rehearse that is a variant of what I'm explaining...you should be able to figure that out with the manual once I explain this). If you hit the auto punch-in button and it displays the proper time, then hit locate (small button above "play"). It will go to that spot. Rewind about ten seconds or so (whatever you need) then press shift first, hold and hitrecord: this will cause it to display "sync" in little blinking letters. Once this blinking thing appears you are ready for action. Assign the tracks and hit play and record like you normally do and it will start recording at the punch-in time and stop at the punch-out time! Remember you can always "undo" anything.

Godd luck. Hope this helps! :)
-greg

www.pitchforkreview.com

Back