8 tracks at once through Fostex VF, Yamaha AW

steve_rolfeca

I just read that in order to record 8 tracks at once on the Fostex VF-16/160, you can't use "bus mode". This means that you record direct to the channel inputs, bypassing the mixer, effects, etc.

Is that true? Is it also true of the VF-160? How about the Yamaha AW16G?

I was hoping that I could use one of these guys as a live sound mixer/recorder for small groups.

However, if the mixer and effects are disabled when you record more than 2 tracks at a time, I'll still need to carry an external mixer.

Steve Rolfe.

At least on Fostex you can use the effects for monitoring but the wet signal is not recorded on track. The signal from an input goes directly to the corresponding recorder track and you use the trim pot to adjust the level of that signal. Using the mixer section (faders, pan, effect sends, aux sends, eq) you can create an independent mix that comes out of the main output and headphone output. This way you can use the VF as a live sound mixer and at the same time record the show and even record signals that you don't want your audience to hear. With the Fostex you can record and mix up to 16 tracks if you use an external ADDA converter with ADAT interface like Fostex's own VC-8.

Back