Thread: V drums and logic

Thanks

V drums and logic

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hello!

I have recently purchased a Roland td-11 v drums kit. Sounds and plays amazing.

Hooked it up to logic with the USB midi and tried playing it through ultrabeat.

Sort of worked...but hasnt mapped properly; hihats are silent in certain places on the pad...the cymbal is a shaker for example. Some things i can move around in ultrabeat but others are unsalvageable.

Snare sounds unnatural and you hear the samples cutting in and out.

Is ultrabeat just not a great drum synth?

Any help will be hugely appreciated

Tim

Thanks
    Your V Drums might not be set up for a General MIDI configuration. You'll probably have to look at the manual to figure out how to remap the drum module so all your pads trigger the sounds you expect them to. In the mean time, the EXS24 sampler has some pretty alright stock drum kits. Maybe look into those -- if those play correctly on your V Drums, then you'll know the problem is with how the Ultrabeat kit is mapped. If they don't play correctly on the V Drums, you'll know you have to remap the V Drums.

Thanks
    Thanks for the speedy response! I shall try and let you know!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by guitarplayr82 View Post
    Your V Drums might not be set up for a General MIDI configuration. You'll probably have to look at the manual to figure out how to remap the drum module so all your pads trigger the sounds you expect them to. In the mean time, the EXS24 sampler has some pretty alright stock drum kits. Maybe look into those -- if those play correctly on your V Drums, then you'll know the problem is with how the Ultrabeat kit is mapped. If they don't play correctly on the V Drums, you'll know you have to remap the V Drums.
    You have the right idea - although I will say - it can be alot easier to build a druimmap in your daw (or download one) than it is to try and setup the vdrums from the front panel...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckduffy View Post
    You have the right idea - although I will say - it can be alot easier to build a druimmap in your daw (or download one) than it is to try and setup the vdrums from the front panel...
    Haha, I bet. I've done it myself. But fixing it from the V Drums is a one time thing to make the V Drums compatible with all General MIDI kits. It's either fix it once and for all on the V Drums, or be forced to remap every GM drum kit you ever try to use

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by guitarplayr82 View Post
    Haha, I bet. I've done it myself. But fixing it from the V Drums is a one time thing to make the V Drums compatible with all General MIDI kits. It's either fix it once and for all on the V Drums, or be forced to remap every GM drum kit you ever try to use
    That is a very good point :-) Missed the general midi part.....

Thanks
    Thanks for the advice guys. I've tried the exs24 drums and yeah they work a bit better but I'm specifically having trouble with the hihats and cymbals...basically the pedal hi hat doesn't respond properly and if I hit a cymbal hard then I just get silence...playing around the kit is a bit odd and samples cut in and out.

How does one set up the midi on the Roland module??

Sorry i am a midi noob. Thanks again!!

Thanks
    Another alternative is to pick up a set of Steven Slate Drums samples. They're easily in the top 2 in terms of drum samples (Ocean Way Drums being the other contender for top position), and Roland V-Drums are already mapped to the drum samples.

Thanks
    Here's another way of setting up V-Drums in Logic Pro X, and definitely my preferred method. The amount of control it gives you over individual tracks is fantastic. Hope it helps!
    https://youtu.be/9wo_w9b3LbQ

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GratefulSpleen View Post
    Here's another way of setting up V-Drums in Logic Pro X, and definitely my preferred method. The amount of control it gives you over individual tracks is fantastic. Hope it helps!
    https://youtu.be/9wo_w9b3LbQ
    I was having similar problems too, this video solved all the problems

Thread Information