Two problems...

kiwimike

Hi everyone.

I am experiencing a couple of probs that may or may not be directly related to Logic, but maybe someone out there can offer a bit of advice?

First prob: I'm running Logic Pro 8 on a G5. My interfaces are 1 x MOTU 1224 & 1 x MOTU 2408 Mk2, connected to their PCI424 card and everything clocked from a MUTEC master clock.

Both MOTU's have been modded here in Germany similar to the Black Lion mod. Until recently (Actually, today...) I've worked totally ITB, so I was never concerned about connecting the OUTS from the interfaces, and the PCI console setup reflected this - i.e. the OUTS were all disabled with just the INS and the MAIN OUT enabled.

Just now I set-up the PCI console to enable the OUTS (8 each for both units) and I am unable to get any audio out of LOGIC? It makes no difference how many OUÄTS are enabled - just enabling 1 pair on 1 unit kills the audio...

The crazy this is other applications play fine - iTunes, iDVD, whatever. This only happens with LOGIC?

I've checked through all the settings I can find in LOGIC but all seems to be in order? And same goes for the MOTU settings? Weird...

The 2nd problem has to do with running the Native Instruments B4 in Logic. I have used the B4 for years, and prefer it over LOGIC's B3 plug.

A couple of weeks back I fitted a new HD to the MAC - we cloned the original and all worked fine EXCEPT the B4...? LOGIC simply does not find the B4's AU plug. Each time I start LOGIC it initiates a AU plugin scan, but can't find it. The only way to get LOGIC to run is to abort the scan.

I've tried re-installing the B4 but no luck.

What's a little crazy is that LOGIC's B3 does not work either. It sees the keyboard's input but the B3 will not trigger. Everything else works fine...?

BIZARRE!!

Hmmm, sorry this seems to have turned into something of a novel. Will stop now.

Hope someone can help. Thanks in anticipation

Mike

I'm not sure if I can help you, because I'm still running Logic 5 on XP.

However, I have encountered a similar problem in the past, and it may provide some clues, at least with the second problem.

My problem was with NI Battery and NI Absynthe plug-ins. One day they were working, then the next they weren't.

It turns out that when you use these plug-ins for the first time, Logic creates a configuration file in the VSTPlugin folder (e.g. Absynth2.0.cfg). This stores the settings you've been using.

Every once in a while, Logic (or something) gets confused, and overwrites these files with emptiness, and when you try to load them . . . they just won't.

There are two fixes that I know:

1 Delete the .cfg file. When you next use the plug-in it is recreated correctly.

2 Replace the .cfg with a backup which you've kept somewhere else.

Thanks for that - unfortunately it seems to work a little different with Logic 8/MAC...? Plugins for Logic are Audio Unit (AU) plugs, and VST plugs do not work. Also the folder layout is quite different. I have tried removing the AU components and Logic does start immediately. However it is not able to find the B4 as, well basically it is not there...

Thanks anyway and best regards, Mike

To address you first problem:

I am not too familiar with the MOTU interfaces mentioned, but am curious as to how you enabled the outputs.

Try opening up the Audio MIDI Setup (AMS) (Applications > Utilities > Audio MIDI Setup) and see if you can tweak anything there. There should be a section dedicated to outputs. You may need to create an Aggregate Device. The Aggregate Device Editor is found in AMS' Audio tab at the top of the screen. Without actually seeing any of this, it's hard to truly diagnose and fix. Hopefully this will lead you in the right direction.

If you do end up making an Aggregate Device, make sure you select it in Logic as your Core Audio Device

Back