Removing a noise from my recording..

alexz

Hello this is my first post..

My question is how to remove a noise from a recording I did...

My artist bumped something and made a noise.. Is there a way to remove that?

Im using Logic 8.

Thanks.

Alex,
There are a few ways to do this, depending on the type of noise you're getting rid of. Here are the two most common:

Situation 1: You have a vocal recording that was recorded in a poorly treated or noisy room. The vocals sound OK, but you can hear the fridge (or whatever) running in the background between lines. Enter the noise gate; opposite of a compressor, the noise gate silences the track until the dB reaches a set threshold, then it plays like normal until track dips back under that threshold (i.e. the end of the line). With a noise gate, you're not eliminating what was making the noise, but you're turning it off until the vocal kicks in and the noise is less noticeable.

In Logic, just select the track that has the offending noise, click a plugin slot, and select "noise gate" from the dynamics menu. Then adjust the noise gate's plugin settings until you get the balance of noise reduction vs. unprocessed signal you want:
web.jpg

web.jpg

Situation 2: You have a track that sounds fine, save for your singer kicking the mic stand or taking a breath/sniffle in the middle of the take. Easiest thing to do here is just to edit out the offending bit.

Select the track where the noise happened. Adjust the zoom so that you can get a good look at the waveform and see the offending noise. Line up the time selector to the front of the waveform to be edited, and hit the "\" key to split the track. Line up the time selector at the back of the waveform to be edited, and hit the "\" key again. Select the offending waveform section and delete it.

Here's an example of a track where my singer took a breath at the end of a line. You can clearly see the end of the vocal part, then the little breath section in the waveform view:
web.jpg

I select the front and end of the breath sound and split the track:
web.jpg

Then just delete the breath from the track:
web.jpg

Back