Quiet Bounces from Logic Pro 8

cathrinastor

When I create a mix I'm happy with in Logic Pro 8, I always find that after bouncing, the mp3 version is a lot quieter than the mix as heard in my Logic Project. In iTunes, the song is ridiculously quiet compared to the other songs in my library.

I'm trying to find a solution to this problem before my band release our album. We've tried not normalising our songs, which exposes horrible peaks and leaves it sounding terrible, and also bouncing them in Real Time, which doesn't seem to change anything.

After googling the problem, it seems like it's a common problem plaguing Logic users. Does anyone have any advice? It would be much appreciated!

I think normalizing is your problem. Normalizing is going to make your whole mix a bit quieter. If you have lots of peaks when not normalizing then you need to go back into the mix and fix those individual problems. Most regular peaks should be taken care of during mastering though.

I agree - normalizing is probably the culprit here. To test it out, slap a limiter on the mix (even if it doesn't sound that great) like the Adaptive Limiter Logic Pro comes with, and get your mix decently loud without ever reading over -.01dB on the master output fader. Then bounce that track down and open it up in iTunes.

Back