Question for you logic gurus out there

jrhager84

expert newb
I have a bunch of logic project files cause the studio my old band used used logic audio 5... He gave me an illegal copy of Logic (idiot) but I only intend on using it to get the files converted to my format (.wav files for Cubase 4).

I got Logic installed, but I don't know how to get it to bounce each file to a folder......I have .wav files, but there's 200+ files because of multiple takes etc. I was just wondering if there was some way to bounce each file individually so if a track has 10 different .wavs it'll make it just one full-length file. Any ideas? Thanks dudes,

-Joel

Hi jrhager

I was just wondering if there was some way to bounce each file individually so if a track has 10 different .wavs it'll make it just one full-length file. Any ideas?

I'm not entirely clear on what you're wanting to do.

Are you wanting to create a mixdown of the individual wavs so that it creates a mix of the finished track- ie: enable you to burn & play the song on a CD?
Or are you wanting to merge several segments of several different audio files together to create a new file (to minimise complexity of files in the arrange window)?

Dags

The latter. I have tracks in Logic that have 10+ punch ins etc., but it wasn't mixed down to merge them. I can't figure out the software because I'm so used to Cubase... I just want to rename the audio tracks, and mix them down individually (one audio file per track). Sorry for being so confusing.

Thanks,

-Joel

The latter. I have tracks in Logic that have 10+ punch ins etc., but it wasn't mixed down to merge them. I can't figure out the software because I'm so used to Cubase... I just want to rename the audio tracks, and mix them down individually (one audio file per track). Sorry for being so confusing.

Thanks,

-Joel

Not a problem Joel - just wanted to clarify what it was you were after.

The simplest way of creating a 'compiled' track from many different takes or audio segments is, as you suggested, to bounce the compiled track to disc.

You can do this by two methods:

*track by track:
clicking on the left hand side of the track number/name - the track's icon - should select all audio segments within that track and then hit the SOLO button on Logic's transport bar (where the sequencer controls are) - shows up yellow when selected - and bounce the selected audio files to disc.

*or by selecting several tracks at once to create a mix of them:
same as above but shift-click to select many audio track numbers/names and hitting the SOLO button OR by muting all unwanted tracks by pressing the little 'M' button on the left hand side of the track in the arrangement window - A track's mute button turns blue when muted and the audio files within that track will appear duller - and bouncing all the files for all the selected/active tracks to disc.

You can find the bounce command under the Audio -> bounce window (going on memory here - I'm at work) or if you open up the environment window (Windows -> environment) there should be somewhere on that page a master output fader with a bounce button at the bottom. This bounce to disc option will allow you to name the output file and select a folder to place the bounced file into.
The bounce dialogue box will also ask if you would like the resultant audio file to be added to your audio window so you can then drag it back into your arrange window to check that it has worked afterwards.

I hope that this is what you were after and it helps you out a bit.

Dags

Is there a way to offline bounce? Bouncing in real-time is taking forever (4 mins of audio and about 20 tracks a song) Bleh!

Is there a way to offline bounce? Bouncing in real-time is taking forever (4 mins of audio and about 20 tracks a song) Bleh!

Only if you have Logic V6 or later.
The dialogue window that opens when you select bounce has a realtime or offline option.
Something I discovered though, if the track has any delay or reverb type effects applied, offline bouncing screws up the delay/verb algorithm. It tends to truncate or 'degrade' the effect. If its just dry vocals then offline works just fine.

I just remembered another way of merging several files together to form a new audio file. Select all the regions in the track and use the glue tool (press ESC to bring up edit options or look in the upper left hand corner of the arrange window where the cursor, fader, glue and text tools etc are)
It will ask if you want to create a new file from the merged audio regions and replace them with the new file in the arrange window.
But it won't have any of the filters or effects applied. It will just merge all the audio file segments into a new compilation audio file.

Good luck!
Dags

if you are using logic 5, here is a way of doing it.

If you want to compile a series of takes relating to one particular track (e.g. a vocal line), and all those takes are on that track, then:

1 in the 'arrange' window, left click on the track stub (where it gives you the track number). This will select all items on that track*.

2 on the menu bar at the top, select 'Functions', then 'Merge', then 'Objects'. A window will pop up, saying something like 'non-contiguous regions require the creation of a new audio file'. Click 'create'. This will create a new track called 'name' merged.wav, where 'name' is the file name of the first take on that track, e.g. audio-1 merged.wav.

This process only takes a few seconds, and doesn't require the rigmarole of soloing, bouncing etc.

When you've done this for each track of the recording, you will end up with a 'merged' file for each which you can then load into Cubase or whatever. Keep these and delete everything else.

* If this doesn't select all the takes, select them all by clicking and dragging through the track.

not read through... in a hurry.... but...

in arrange window highlight all the audio segments in the track by dragging a box through them (dont click on any of these segments incase you re-overlap or accidently drag them).

Then (I think from memory) in the menu go, Audio > Audio Mixdown and those segmented tracks will be replaced by a merged, newly reated audio file.

hurried post, and all from memory so might be wrong!

good luck

Ed

Back