Question about effects

dudop5000

I'm new to Logic Pro and trying my best to learn what I can via youtube tutorials and such, but theres some stuff I just cant figure out how to do. For instance...

How can I add an effect to an individual part of a track. For example, I want a deep reverb on my snare but only for bars 6-8. I dont want a deep reverb on the entire snare track, but I cant figure out how to simply add the effect to a certain part. Please helpppp

Sunsetsdown has it right.

Check out this video for more general information on Automation. The real meat of what you will need it in the middle, but it won't hurt to watch all of it. . .
I would also heavily recommend watching more of SFlogicninja's videos on youtube if you haven't already started.

So once again:
  • Set up a bus on your snare track and turn up the little knob's volume
  • Put the reverb on the new created auxilary track
  • Use Automation to control that aux track. (I'd automate the little knob on your main snare track while keeping your aux track at a constant level. That's just how I work. It keeps the Aux track out of the arrange window.)

^ What baker said.

Here's another way to do it without creating the buss... If you want to use the effect as an insert rather than a send/return loop:

1. First, setup the reverb you want on the snare as a plugin. Then, under the view menu, select "Track Automation"
web.jpg

2. By default, the automation shows track volume. On the header, click on the grey bar that says "volume," and you'll get a menu with more options. Scroll up to "main" and then select the "bypass" option for the reverb plugin. In this example, my reverb plug is the 3rd plugin on the track.
web.jpg

3. Now, you can simply draw an on/off switch for the reverb wherever you want it. You can bypass everywhere except the 6 or 8 bars you want, and the reverb will just turn itself on/off when it gets to that point. In my example, I've turned the reverb off for the first vocal verse:
web.jpg

I use Kinetic's method often, but with delays and reverbs it can be a little tricky (more so I think with delays). The effect bypass is extremely useful. A shortcut to doing it on the fly is to option-click on the effect plug-in in the mixer view while in automation mode (latch, write...). I don't usually use the bypass method on reverbs or delays because sometimes I want a slow, controlled exit for them. The bypass simply shuts the entire effect off which, at times, can be too abrupt. This method, however is a very useful tool to understand and use.

Thank you all for your help. I have been watching SFLogicNinjas videos as they are extremely helpful, but I didn't know it was called automation. That video cleared up a lot of questions I had and now I have a whole new world to mess with.

In fact you do!! Have fun with it all. Remember that you can automate just about everything in Logic. Volume, pan, effect parameters like cutoff, resonance, attack, release, pitch, reverbs, delays . . . Don't get too overwhelmed ;)

Post some music in the MP3 mixing clinic when you're done!

The bypass simply shuts the entire effect off which, at times, can be too abrupt. This method, however is a very useful tool to understand and use.

Very true. In addition, you could also write automation to the "mix" level of the reverb:
web.jpg

This would allow you to gently fade the reverb out at the end of your section... something like this:
web.jpg

The other cool thing about baker's method that wasn't mentioned is that you could automate multiple sends to the same effect buss... say, move the snare drum reverb out as the guitar starts to pick up the "space." All sorts of fun things!

Also, the shortcut to get to the automation mode in the arrange window is the "a" key on the keyboard. Simply press "a" and you can toggle back and forth between automation and normal view.

Sweet, I needed to know that too! I do a lot of leads and progressions on the same track so this will be a huge help. Thanks!

its extremely powerful. The possibilities seem infinite.

and yeah, sflogicninja is the man.

Back