no sound from MIDI controller in Logic Pro

cadillacvernon

what in the HELL is Logic's problem?!?! I can plug my M-Audio Oxygen 61 MIDI controller into my powerbook via USB, start up any other DAW in the world and hear sound.

But Logic?

No.

What the hell?!??! It works in Reason but not in Logic Pro!!!!

I still don't understand why everyone jizzes all over this software when you have to struggle to get anything done with it. It's like whoever designed Logic never used Pro Tools, Nuendo, Cakewalk, Cubase, Cool Edit, and just decided to design it like a retarded monkey would.

jesus christ!

have you tried resetting your midi inputs in logic... this is done by simply clicking the MIDI in/out area on the transport bar.

I've never had this problem, i have the same controller. I literally just plugged it in and played.

yeah i reset my MIDI inputs. did nothing.

for some ridiculous reason, if I start a brand new project and choose "Compose" and set it with all MIDI tracks, THEN i can access the Logic Library and use all the samples with my MIDI controller.

but if I create a MIDI track or software instrument in a Project with other audio files (i.e. real guitar, vocals, etc.), then it doesn't recognize shit and I can't change it to the Instrument I want it to be.

ridiculous

it sounds like there is something wrong in your environment window for midi, i'm not sure though. there's a few reasons this could be happening. sorry mate.

When you open a track, are you selecting a software instrument, not an audio track? The usb midi controller only works on midi enabled tracks.

reinstall. drivers if no go, then logic. Logic works with that, so there's no chance of it just not working.

reinstall. drivers if no go, then logic. Logic works with that, so there's no chance of it just not working.

Yeah I had already reinstalled the drivers. It was because I plugged in the MIDI controller and selected new track and tried to change it to a MIDI instrument from there. I wasn't aware I had to "tell it" I was going to be using MIDI when I first chose to open a new track. I'm just not used to this thing yet. It's like a DAW from Mars.

Its from Mars alright, but when you get it, its out of this world!!!

hehe nice pun! Yeah that's what everyone tells me. Steep learning curve but it's worth it for the amount of options you have. I dunno how much more of it I can take though to tell the truth. I might end up trying a different one eventually.

so have you gotten used to it yet?

check out sflogicninja on youtube.

I'm getting there. I miss CoolEdit/Adobe Audition. Why can't the output of that program sound as awesome as Logic, dammit?

btw... how do you like the Oxygen MIDI controller? I'm liking it so far, no problems at all.

oooh oooh me too!

i'm having the same problem with not being able to hear my midi keyboard when i play. none of the fixes listed above work. i add the track as a midi external and when i push the keys, the programs reads that i'm pushing the keys and tells me what notes i'm pushing, but i hear nothing. when i use it in garageband, i have no problems hearing it. help me, please.

do you want to hear the sounds coming from your keyboard or use software instruments in logic?

If you want to hear what sounds your actual keyboard makes, you have to make sure you're keyboard is connected to an output (from the keyboards output into a mixer, amp or something)

External MIDI is for recording the midi notes and values from your keyboard into Logic.

What type of keyboard are you using, and what type of recording interface are you using?

i'm using an old piece of junk casio (LK-40) attached with a MIDI to USB cord. i want to use it as a controller. i am able to do this flawlessly in garageband without having to change any of the settings. logic pro just acknowledges that i'm pushing keys but doesn't give me any sound.

if you want it to make noise you have to load a software instrument, not an external midi track

Try creating a software instrument track and choose an instrument

that didn't work either. my drivers are up to date, and everything else seems to be in place. hell, garageband gives me no problems. logic wants to be the bully. any other ideas?

A midi controller isn't the same as a midi instrument...
You need to see a connection from the specific port or the SUM to the Logic sequencer.
Back channel me if you're still having problems. I'll help you get it working.

cheers

Barry

Back