Minotoring issue in Logic Studio

DinosaurDavidB.

I'm trying to go from guitar>M-Audio FastTrack USB interface>Logic Audio track and I'm having some issue with the monitoring. All I'm hearing is direct guitar signal. I'm not hearing the plug in (in this case, GuitarAmp Pro's) effecting the guitar.

I can hear the GuitarAmp Pro's hiss on the track. If I turn up the gain on the GuitarAmp Pro, the hiss increases on the track so the GuitarAmp Pro plugin IS there and active. What I don't hear is the direct guitar signal being processed by the GuitarAmp Pro plug in. I still only hear my direct guitar sound.

According to the docs, there should be at least a couple of ways to monitor this:

1. Software monitoring. You can hear the effect plug in but it doesn't record. This is great for putting verb or delay into your headphone mix, but not actually recording it to the track. I'm haven't got this working.

2. Input monitoring. Isn't this the one where you hear what you're recording while you're recording it, in this case, a guitar being processed by a plugin. The kind of monitoring where latency can be a factor. This isn't working either right now. My understanding was that this type of monitoring is related to the I (input monitoring) and R (record enabled) buttons on the channel strip.

On the Mac itself:

The AMS shows that I DO have the FastTrack selected for the Default Input, the Default Output, and the System Output and the Properties For is also set to the FastTrack.

The Mac's Sound preference shows that I have the FastTrack selected for the Output, and the Input.

And in Logic, the FastTrack is selected and enabled in the Core Audio.

I'm very new to this setup and Logic, and this is probably something very simple that I'm missing, but I'm stumped.

Can anyone help? Thanks.

Is it Audio Units or VST? AU is what you want. As well, if it's AU, you are probably attaching your plugin as a patch setting rather than a plug-in. If not, I'm lost. Not enough information maybe. You're confusing the issue by even mentioning your interface. If you hear things it's not your interface.

-check volume on guitar,
-check volume on interface.
-check interface connectivity
-check interface volume via software mixer
-record enable the monitoring enabled track

In order to record the plug-in effects directly into your audio track with Logic you need to go into logic's environment create an input and connect the input to the audio track you are recording onto. Make sure the input is the same # input your guitar is plugged into. You than have to load the plug-ins into the input channel strip other than the audio track channel strip. Also to connect the input to the audio track there will be a symbol like > at the top, if you click on this a wire will come up that you drag to the audio track.

woah woah wait.. you actaully record the effects you use on your audio track, and that way not have to have so many efx going on at once?

Back