Is Logic Pro X that much better than Garageband

TMSongwriter

I've been using Garageband for a several years now and been told by many that I should go to Logic Pro x. I use it basically y to write and record my own songs, more of a hobby, certainly not a Pro at this. My question is:

1. I've been told that the layout is very similar, (I really hate the idea of learning a whole new software) Is the layout pretty close to garageband?

2. What are the biggest advantages to Logic Pro X?

3. I've been told that there are a lot more virtual instruments and loops available, is this true?

4. Any other differences I should be aware of?

It's not so much the money, the $200.00, it's learning a whole new system and not knowing if it's worth it, just to get the additional loops and virtual instruments.

Thanks to all who respond!

1. Depends on the version of GarageBand, but the current version is based on Logic Pro X, so the layout should look familiar, though many things which are "built-in" for GarageBand do get exposed in detail, and require a little more tinkering.
2. The ability to "tinker" with all the exposed settings that you don't have access to is one. Things like Compressors and Reverb (Space Designer, esp.) have a *lot* of different settings that make audible differences and really show the value of the built-in plugins, and you just don't get to all of those in GB. The "quick-swipe" feature in "takes" is a big timesaver if you do recording that way. You can create a comp in GB, but it's not nearly as seamlessly integrated. (To me, trying to figure out what I'm missing in GB is the kind of pain I recognize you don't want to go through, but I believe it's a valuable step up.)
3. The latest update for LPX has 27k entries in the Loops window, compared to 5.8k in GB. I didn't drill down in the software instruments but there are definitely more in LCPX.
4. I am not a deep user of Logic Pro X and haven't kept up with GB since switching before the upgrade that made it [much] more like LPX.

Good video here (watch the whole thing):

p.s. just started watching - I use the Fade tool *a lot* as well as other cursor tools he mentions right at the start.

p.p.s. Region editing, and oh, jeez, no mixing console view in GB. Couldn't imagine not working without that. Can't copy/move plugins? No sends??? Worth way more than $200...
Screen Shot 2020-05-16 at 2.52.41 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-05-16 at 2.53.01 PM.png

Last edited:
The real question is that changing your software gives you a very big learning curve to get back to where you were, so are you finding a block to progress?

If you keep wishing you could do X, or wishing that doing Y was easier, then a more advanced platform allows you to grow. If you never find yourself not being able to do something, then you don't need to change. Do you want the flashy but lovely sounding synths and samples? I constantly discover new features and when you use them wonder how you managed. Nowadays, if I want to stack up inserts and sends it never occurs to me that this might be impossible for some software. I expect I use 10% of the feature set, based on dropdowns I've never used, but I bet MY 10% is different from somebody else's - that's the benefit of more advanced (not better) software.

Virtual instruments grow and grow. I think they're worth it. Garageband is great for starting your computer music experience, but it makes things simpler than Logic, Cubase and the other more versatile platforms. For many years I convinced myself Photoshop was OTT and my cheaper software was just as good. I tried a trial of photoshop and hated it - far too complicated. Then one day I made the effort to really spend time learning Photoshop and I realised how good it was, and so much more competent at doing the job than the one I used. I'd hate to go back now, and that's the same with music software.

Heck yes! When I got Logic it felt like I finally had all the features I wished Garageband had. It’s such a great app

The real question is that changing your software gives you a very big learning curve to get back to where you were, so are you finding a block to progress?
+ 1

and just as well ,
many still often use old setups with rackmount samplers , synth expanders , fxs units , etc.. ,
with which they have also accomplished important things ,
for "sketch" but sometime also for fully realize projects ,
because the many patches and settings ready to use ,
and in particular because are familiar with what they can really do ,
hope this help
cheers

Back