Logic 8 and 9 mixer

cheeserandyburg

This is just for any Logic Pro users here on the board.

I have a question about this mixer section of this DAW.

ever since i can REMEMBER, whenever i used a mixer, EVERYTHING under 0db's.. was always expressed in NEGATIVE db's. Ie. "-6db, -23db, -2db, etc"

If you ever went OVER the 0db threshold you'd be clipping and the number's would be expressed in "positive" ie. "+2, +5, etc

In the following picture at the bottom of the page the values expressed are just "numbers" with no positive or negative (except for the lower values, such as -20 or lower)

For anyone on this board who uses this DAW, could they please explain to me, whats up with the "8.7", or "5.8" neither NEGATIVE, or POSITIVE.. its been bothering and confusing me for a while..

or does the negative symbol just pertain to the numbers until -10 and then "-9" is just "9"? , -8 is just "8", and so fourth?

thanks

o7ouv9.jpg

I have noticed the same thing. If it's Logic 9.0 you have, it'll be a bug. I try to just rely on my ears. I would just imagine the minus sign in there unless you are actually hearing clipping.

It's quite irritating though.

The peak display is a 3 digit display. with integer value you can thus write -12, -24 bur if you have real values, the "." decimal symbol take a digit... The "-" is then not displayed.

But seeing "clipping" is logic is quite straightforward, since the 3 digit display is becomming red (digits are written white on red) if any clipping occurs (above 0dB values). Is it's not white on red, then there is no clipping...

In your image, no red display = no positive peak values = no clipping.
Sylvain aka wphantom

Back