Interested in moving from Audition 3 to Logic 9

noiseordinance

Hello there. I've been an Audition 3 user for a long time. I bought a retina Macbook (16GB RAM, i7 2.3) that smokes my PC, so I retired the PC for DAW use. I've been using boot camp to go to Audition 3, but it's just starting to become a pain, and Audition is starting to show it's age. Since I'd like to start in OSX, I've been thinking about Logic 9. In Audition, I'm used to making like 40-50 tracks filled with heavy amounts of effects that I can freeze to cut down on CPU use. I'm curious if Logic also uses a freeze function, or if it works a little differently. If I have 20 tracks loaded with Amplitube, for example, what is the appropriate method of cutting down on CPU usage in such a heavy scenario?

Although I am new to mac I'm pretty sure you're right on the RAM limitation in 32 bit (pretty sure it's 32bit across the board not just pc) 32 bit can only use something like 3.74gb of ram, could be off on the number, been a while since I used 32bit.

Yes, Logic 32 bit is limited around 3 gb of ram, which for some sessions is not a problem, but 64 bit isn't. You might have trouble with any 32 bit plugins though. You can use them in the 64 version, a 32 bit audio bridge will open when you open a plug. Although you can use multiple plugins, you can only view one 32 bit plugin at a time. Also, it's known to crash at times. I just stay with the 64 bit ones.

Bassically, Michael

Audition CS5.5 and above (current version is CS6 with another release announced for soon) are Mac compatible if you want to stay with something you know. I'd avoid CS5.5 because it was a complete re-write to handle Mac and a lot of the nice bits got left out. CS6 is okay though and the promo'd feature in the next release sound interesting.

That said, Adobe are taking Audition in an audio post production direction--it's best I know for editing and darn good for tracking and mixing live sound. It's also good for restoration type things...but the lack of MIDI or rewire limits it's use for music creation.

Back