I'm shattered and desolate ~ Logic can't find Firepod midi ~ counselling needed

gecko zzed

Grumpy Mod
The system:

Firepod through firepod into Logic 5.1 on XP

The story:

I've been successful and blissfully happy using Logic for many years, and its partnership with Presonus Firepod has been untroubled.

In recent times I've become interested in Reaper, and have been experimenting. I used Rearoute to route Logic's outputs directly into Reaper: sixteen tracks popped in without a whimper of protest. However, what got left behind was a tempo map. I thought the answer might lie in Midi Yoke which I downloaded and installed. Silly me!

Midi yoke is good for Reaper as master and something else as slave, but I couldn't get it to work the other way. Not only that, it left Logic without its clock when running as a stand-alone. Not good!

Simple problem really . . . just uninstall Midiyoke, which I did. Which caused Logic to crash altogether. That was an unexpected and unpleasant surprise.

So . . . quickest and most painless way to get things up was to do a system restore, which I did. No worries . . . Reaper ok, Logic ok . . . no midiyoke . . . everything was fine.

But . . . it wasn't really, because when running Logic, I discovered it had lost the Firepod midi device, and midi was being directed to the Microsoft GS wavetable . . . nasty sounds and nasty latency.

So . . . I uninstalled and re-installed Logic, with fingers crossed. But crossed fingers didn't work . . . still no midi output to the Firepod.

But . . . here is the interesting thing:

1 Reaper still fires Midi out to the Firepod ok, and so does Sibelius. So does Cubase that came with it.

2 Windows' Sound and Audio devices all recognise Firepod for midi and audio.

So it does not appear that the Firepod is the problem (and in fact Logic still records via the Firepod just dandy).

But I didn't want to uninstall and re-install the Firepod just yet, though I did turn it off and restart it. Naturally, this had no effect.

I've since done another system restore to an even earlier time, and a re-install of Logic . . . no luck.

Maybe I've somehow distured Logic's environment, but re-installing should have fixed that.

If anyone has a solution, I'm prepared to grovel obsequiously for it.

Help!

anyone?

anyone?

I had EXACTLY the same problem - I thought it was my firepod firmware... in the end I wiped my PC clean, re-installed windows and logic etc... and it was all back to normal.

Reaper must have done something! So I'm not going there again.

I've got Pro 8 on the mac now anyway!

ouch! sounds like some rogue registry setting -- but does the registry get replaced in a system restore?

How bad would a sys reset of the firepod be? I've had to do that with my MOTU Traveler before, and it was no big deal.

No longer am I desolate ~ I found the solution!

Okay . . . here's the continuing story.

Whatever I tried, I was unable to restore Logic's recognition of Firepod midi. I had almost resigned myself to abandoning Logic and using Reaper as my main audio/midi program.

However, an acquaintance came round with his new keyboard and the installation disk. So I installed it, and the keyboard worked a treat with Logic, both as a driver and as a sound library.

He left, taking his keyboard with him.

When I next loaded Logic, I was presented with a dialogue box saying something like "device not found, retry, disable or ignore" or something similar. This was unsurprising, as the device was, indeed, not present. So I clicked "ignore".

However, I did notice that the "disable" button had some extra information, i.e. that the device could be enabled in the Win.INI file. This sparked a little lightglobe in my low candlepower head, so I loaded the Win.INI file in Notepad and went hunting.

I found a section of Logic settings, including the Firepod midi which had a setting of "0". I changed this to a "1" and saved.

I loaded Logic, and hey presto, there was the Firepod midi back again, alive and kicking. So it was fixed with one keystroke, once I found the keystroke to make.

But . . . how did this state arise in the first place? The most likely cause is human (i.e. me) error . . . Somehow during the midi-yoke process and the flipping between Logic and Reaper, this dialogue box popped up, and I hit "disable" by mistake. Possibly (but I think less likely), Logic itself set the value to "0" during the midi-yoke process.

Anyway, I am now in a state of contentment, having found and fixed this problem, and having returned to the familiarity of Logic.

& you threw nothing out the window? You must've sworn at least once.
Well done on resolving the problem without violence.

...well I did losts of F'ing and B'ing when it happend to me!!! and I did nothing with midi-yoke'ermeeethingy. Reaper I tell you! EVIL REAPER!!!!

gekko,

congrats on some fine sleuthing. Takes me back to the day I went all over the house with an extension cord, plugging my monitors in every outlet in the house until I found one that took away this loud annoying hum. It makes you want to beat your chest and howl at the moon!

Back