Which GUI to buy?

DrumArtist23

I am thinking about making the switch from Acid 6 pro to eithert Sonar 8 or Logic. Since this is the Logic board, what are some benefits to getting logic over sonar 8?

Nick,
Sorry I always seem to be the one to throw my opinion at you, but having owned Cakewalk, Cubase, and Logic, I couldn't see ever switching off Logic. (I haven't used Acid)

On the plus side, Logic has a great workflow for me. Once you get the hang of its controls and quick-keys, you can work very quickly without spending a lot of time on software hassle. It just works like it should. The included plugin suite, EXS instrument set, and sample library are, IMHO, top of their class as far as included software goes. It also has some really nice templates built in for various control surfaces, so if you're using a Tascam, M-Audio, Digidesign, Mackie, Roland, or Yamaha controller, you just plug it in and it "works."

Logic does have a bit of a learning curve for new users. It took me a few weeks of fiddling with it, reading the (gigantic) manual, and leaning on Baker here on the forum to really get up to speed. I still know there's a lot more under the surface that I haven't explored.

P.S. FWIW, my Logic rig runs on a Mac Mini, 1.83GHtz, 2GB Ram, 120 GB Drive, 160GB Iomega eGo backup drive, Apogee Duet & Tascam FW-1082 interfaces.

Making the move from PC to MAC would be a big jump for me, but finding a proggy with ease of use would greatly outweigh my distain for apple products.

I was curious to know if any "professional" studios use anything but apple software when recording a/d? It would be interesting to find out what % of the "pro" studios use PC based GUI's, over the commercially accepted apple brands.

Making the move from PC to MAC would be a big jump for me, but finding a proggy with ease of use would greatly outweigh my distain for apple products.
I didn't realize you weren't already on the Mac platform. While I have a deep love for Mac computers (I'm writing this on my Macbook now), it's an expensive jump to dump an existing PC, buy a Mac, buy software (even Logic Express is $200), etc., etc. As much as I love Logic, you're talking about - at minimum - a $1000 jump when you consider the computer, keyboard/mouse, and software.

You would likely be just as happy starting off with Reaper for $50 on your existing PC... and you'll get to sleep in your own bed.

And don't disdain Apple! We Mac users don't have any deep seated hatred toward Ballmer and crew! Mac is just a different platform. (A much more user-friendly, cool, hip, effective, beautiful platform) :D

(A much more user-friendly, cool, hip, effective, beautiful platform) :D

LOL!! I just realized I don't dislike apple, it's all their fanboys I can't get onboard with! /jokes

I wouldn't mind putting the money into it, I would really like to have a dedicated DAW to work with, and not have to worry about friends and family getting on it to surf the internet and whatnot. My PC use to be awesome when compared to an average user. I had 1TB of HD space back when buying a 250GB external cost $250. Running 4GB RAM, Going to be buying 2 Delta 1010's and can hopefully find them for under $250 a piece shipped.

Making the jump would require setting aside a tried and true system, and hoping the learning curve won't be too much to handle.

If you can open a folder and double click on an application, you'll be able to use Logic. Worst case scenario...drop an extra $100 and sign up for One to One training. You'd be able to not only learn your way around the Mac, but get trained in Logic as well.

What type of music/productions are you planning on making?
Do you ever do live shows? (seems random, but I have my reasons for asking!)
What is the main thing you want your DAW (GUI) to do?

I could sit here and try to sell you on all the bells and whistles Logic has to offer, but I'd rather make sure you get what you need.

:)

Back