General question about loops...

Rusty K

Is it true that it's not necessary to crossfade midi loops but if they are wavs then it's best to crossfade all the regions in the track?

Is it true that it's not necessary to crossfade midi loops but if they are wavs then it's best to crossfade all the regions in the track?

It's generally true, but not exclusively so.

The reason why you crossfade audio is to avoid clicks at the transition if the loops contain audio that has been truncated at the start or finish. Midi doesn't have this problem. If the audio is truncated, you can avoid crossfades and clicks by doing very short fade-ins and fade-outs on the loops.

It's generally true, but not exclusively so.

The reason why you crossfade audio is to avoid clicks at the transition if the loops contain audio that has been truncated at the start or finish. Midi doesn't have this problem. If the audio is truncated, you can avoid crossfades and clicks by doing very short fade-ins and fade-outs on the loops.

I'm not hearing anything (clicks) but then I don't have all the high end equipment and possibly not the keen engineering ears to detect it if it's there. How do you know if the loops are "truncated" and would you explain what that actually is? Thanks

I'm not hearing anything (clicks) but then I don't have all the high end equipment and possibly not the keen engineering ears to detect it if it's there. How do you know if the loops are "truncated" and would you explain what that actually is? Thanks

If I knew how to post pictures, I could show you.

However, double click on a track and look at the wave form at the start and end points.

If the WAV is not at zero at the start or end points, the chances are that you will hear a click when you play it (either at the begining or end).

For example, you night have a guitar note that plays during a bar, and extends beyond the end of the bar. You don't want this to happen, so you set the end point right at the end of the bar, which will cut off the end of the guitar note . . . the bit you don't want to hear. But where it is cut off, you will see an abrupt termination. This is where you could hear a click.

But . . . if you are not hearing clicks, then don't worry about it.

If I knew how to post pictures, I could show you.

However, double click on a track and look at the wave form at the start and end points.

If the WAV is not at zero at the start or end points, the chances are that you will hear a click when you play it (either at the begining or end).

For example, you night have a guitar note that plays during a bar, and extends beyond the end of the bar. You don't want this to happen, so you set the end point right at the end of the bar, which will cut off the end of the guitar note . . . the bit you don't want to hear. But where it is cut off, you will see an abrupt termination. This is where you could hear a click.

But . . . if you are not hearing clicks, then don't worry about it.

Oh that makes sense and I have heard what you are talking about...but more on trims I've made with audio clips.

Thanks

Back