EMI Digital Interface

needledrop

Does anybody know if the emi 6/2 interfaces analog outs/ins are balanced? Im trying to drop some tracks from an unbalanced tape machine and I'm catchin' a buzz.
Thanks

Hello,
I have this same interface, and I am very happy with its ability to faithfully reproduce the sound which enters (I use a lot of tape and other analog gear, so I am quite picky). The connections are most definitely not balanced, however (and I don't think that a balanced RCA connection is even physically possible).
I did find that it was necessary to use an external power adapter for noise-free recording. Sadly, emagic is no longer in business (I really wish that they had bought Apple, and not the other way around). But I was able to find a suitable power adapter at Radio Shack. The necessary specifications for this adapter are printed on the device itself. It is important to follow these specifications exactly. I'm sorry, but I don't have mine in front of me. I do remember, though, that the tip is negative (this is unusual - the salesman at Radioshack actually tried to argue with me until I showed him the unit). Obviously, the wrong polarity would result in disaster. The reason for using an external adapter is to eliminate noise within the USB supply.
The other problem that you may consider is that the computer may be interfering electronically with the device or with your other gear. Ever since integrating a computer and its associated digital devices into my system, I have struggled with this problem (and I have used more than one computer, both a PC and then a Mac). A power conditioner helped slightly - and exploring possible ground loops is also a good first step. But the best solution that I found was to use an isolation transformer between the computer and other gear. ART makes nice, cheap transformers (the T8 is great; I will probably be purchasing a second one soon). For me, it eliminated the problem entirely. Sound now passes through unharmed, and interference does not.
Anyway, this is my first time trying to offer advice on an internet forum, so I hope that this post has been helpful to you. The above information is based upon my own personal experience. I hope that you don't give up on the EMI, though. I think it sounds just terrific. Good luck.

Back