Drum replacement does not create midi region

patlang12

I am new to logic and I am trying to use the drum replacement tool. I select the track and click drum replacement/doubling. A new track is created, but it is empty. No midi region containing trigger notes is created as I see happen in all the tutorials and manuals I have looked at. As I said I am new to logic and very easily could be doing something dumb. Anyone have any ideas whats going on?

Try Adjusting the Threshold Level during Prelisten

The drum replacement/doubling threshold needs to be set to a level that can read the notes you want (and not read the notes you don't). It's possible your threshold level is off.

After the selected track is analyzed, select what drum sound you want and if you want it doubled or replaced (I click doubling, replacement seems to get rid of the original track, which I definitely do not want.) I then click "Prelisten" and start adjusting my threshold level until I find a good match of peaks with doubling. The doubling has never come out perfect for me so I edit the midi data manually as needed.

Hopefully you can get it to work, it's a really nifty tool! Peace!

Thanks for the reply. I have tried messing around with the threshold, but I still can't get it to work. When I go through the process a new track is created, but it is empty. If it was a problem with the threshold I would expect to see at least a midi file with no events in it, right?

The track to be replaced/doubled is highlighted (aka selected), then "drum replacement/doubling" is clicked under the tracks tabs (working from memory as I'm away from my mac). This track is analyzed, which can take a few seconds-minutes depending on the length of the track.

A dialog box appears that you can now set the drum's sound (snare, toms, others), select what drum sound you want (the samples are under the Media tab on the right-hand side of the screen).

Then click PRELISTEN, I'd recommend muting all the other tracks, including the one you're about to replace, so only the repalcement track is heard.

Now adjust your threshold, you should see yellow lines appear or disappear as you adjust the threshold. When the cursor rides over the yellow lines, the sample should be heard. Once you're satisfied with the threshold click ok, or whatever the button is called to execute your replacement/doubling settings.

Not trying to insult your abilities but try zooming in on the newly created midi track and see if there's data; maybe you are zoomed out too far to notice it. Or turn the volume up, check the mute button on the new track... Also, open the newly replacement track in the sample editor window at the bottom of the screen, select Piano Roll and see if there's data in there (little squares of different colors). Again, just trying to help.

Another way is checking YouTube for Logic 9 tutorials, Jonathan Something-or-Other had a few tutorials on Logic 9 and I believe Drum Replacement/Doubling is covered. It's where I first got aquainted with Logic, as I still consider myself new to the software.

I'm at work and away from my mac at the moment, I'll try messing around when I get home and try some replacement/doubling out. I'll be back on the HR forums tonight or tomorrow. Good luck!!

Thanks for your reply. I messed with it more today and made some progress. I have two songs recorded in the the same logic file. I have been trying to use the drum replacer on the first song in the file and it has not been working (and is still not working). When I scrolled to the second song I saw that a midi file had been created and that adjusting the threshold would bring the yellow lines. However it doesn't seem to work at all on the first song. Is there some simple setting that I clicked accidentally that is making it only analyze the second song? Thanks again for the help.

I figured it out. It seems that the track has to been flattened for the drum replacer to work. The reason it worked on my second song is because none of the tracks had multiple takes on them. Thanks again for your help. I'm starting to get to know logic a little bit better and am starting to enjoy using it.

Nice, glad you made progress! It's a really awesome tool!

In the future I want to get a drum plug in pack like this one to get more higher quality samples. I'm looking to get the best sound possible and if I have to use virtual instruments then that's what I gotta do.

Back