cant hear midi

wtferk

Hello, im new to logic,
ive got leopard with logic 8 installed,
got a midi keyboard and the signal is working and i can see the channels graph goin up and down,
HOWEVER, i cant hear the midi, Audio works fine, and i hear everything

what to do about that ?
thanks

When you say "midi keyboard" do you mean a keyboard hooked up to a midi interface via midi cables or are you coming out of your keyboard usb to your computer?

I went through this when I began to test the mideival midi waters. Others may be better suited to this but since you haven't had any suggestions I'll give it to you in a nutshell.
1. A "midi" signal is not audio. What you are sending via your keyboard to pc is an electronic signal with instructions. Basically it's a code your pc reads that tells how long to hold a note and I believe the volume, among other things. However there is no audio being sent to your pc, that is why you have some meter action but no sound.
2. In order to get sounds from your midi signal you must have what are called VST plugins installed to your DAW. These are virtual instruments, same as on your keyboard, that are plugged into the midi signal giving you sound.
3. The advantage of using midi is that numerous voicings can be applied to the same rhythm. Also, unwanted notes may be erased, and other things can also be adjusted.
4. If you insist on getting the sounds from your pc there is a roundabout way of doing it but it is a lengthy process and I won't talk about it in this post. If you want info search: edrum midi= confusion city, into the search function at the top of the screen. This is a post I made when trying to understand midi and I believe you willl find instructions on this process made by altitude and Chilli (be sure to rep). This brings me to my final point,
5. Welcome to HR. Many here are very willing and enjoy helping those new to subjects. All any of us ask is that you try the search function first, you will get results faster, and avoid clogging up the BBS as many questions have been asked before.
Happy posting,
James

lol weird

its fixed, i can hear midi sounds and i audio sounds
and my midi keyboard connected via midi to usb connector
and usb to the computer

Back