Advice please/Logic & Protools

analogfunk

Hi
new to the site,so can anybody help with advice to which set up would be best for starting off with?Realise it might be old hat for most of you,but your help would be appreciated.

Analog

are you choosing between PT and Logic?

If thats the case, I think you should go for a Mbox 2 and PT 8.0. Has to be most bang for the buck! A lot of basic instrument and plugins as well.

I run logic nowadays, but I am keeping my protools anyway, because there are somethings that I like more with PT.

Either way you cant go wrong, but I think that PT gives more for the money when you start from 0.

IMHO

Logic = Better for writing and arranging.
Pro Tools = Better for Recording editing.

Logic is a bit more pricey I think but with its MIDI capabilities score editor its a little better when you are writing your own music. It will also work with basically any interface where Pro Tools is proprietary.

Pro Tools I want hands down if I'm engineering for another band. The looping, editing and recording functions just make more sense in Pro Tools I think. Tab to transient and beat detective are unmatched tools for editing.

It all depends on what your doing.

Devoted Logic user here gonna give a +1 for Logic. I like not being tied to specific hardware, and especially for someone starting out it's nice to be able to explore a bit. You can buy cheaper things in small amounts, rather than having to save up a grand before you can even get started. If you're a student, you might be able to get Logic at your school for an even cheaper educational discount.

But I agree, it depends what you're planning on doing. Only need a two tracks of input (recording mostly guitar/vocals) and want something that's easy and straight forward, go with a protools/mbox set up. But if you want to be able to hook up 8 channels+ on the cheap and record full bands or experiment with lots of writing and arranging, go for Logic.

Back