Would someone help me set up my interface with Reaper? I'm an old newbie...

Have you set your interface as the playback(output) device? You have to go to the Control Panel then to Sound, then to Manage Audio Device. You have to set it so that your interface is the default device. Your interface will show up there, but you have to make it the default or it will not play. hope this helps.

Hello XploZiveToyz,

Yes, and I just double checked to be sure...I have the io2 selected as default devices in bith the palyback and recording tabs. Thanks for your suggestion; it made me make sure. Have a good evening!

I had trouble with my nesw interface in Reaper - still have occasionally - but the prblem is all in the interface's mixer/software & not in Reaper. Check the software for the interface if you've not already.
My interface, Focusrite scarlett 8i6o is renowned for the problem I've discovered - sounds really good once I get a sound.

Thanks, rayc. I can't remember if there was any software to install with the io2, but I'll look again. Have a good evening!

ASIO4All, is 'NOT' the best driver for anything. It is a workaround, for poorly designed/supported gear, that has no good drivers.

I just briefly looked over this thread, but it seems you need to make your ASIO4All driver, the default in Windows. It is only a wrapper, that fakes a good driver. The output of your audio driver, needs to send through the IO2 Express. Somehow, it seems to not be getting there.

Or, just spend a few more bucks on something that is actually designed to do the proper job, on it's own. Just saying...

Hey jimmy! So maybe I need to ditch my io2 and get another interface? That would sting a little, since I bought it and have never got any use out of it, haha. But, on the other hand, I'm sure wasting a lot of time spinning my wheels. If I had spent the time I've wasted on the interface driving nails I could have bought a better interface, to be sure.

What would you suggest for an interface? I can't go crazy, moneywise, but have gone too far to quit now. If the building/remodeling business would pick up again, I'd be in better shape. I always appreciate your advice. There are a lot of helpful (and patient) folks here, and I am glad!

By the way, as was suggested in the instructions, I have the speaker and microphone sounds aet at "4", which seems very low...but apparently is correct. I do notice that under change system sounds/volume mixer it says "Speaker (io2) and Microphone (io2) so that seems correct.

Also, when I go to "control panel/hardware and sound/sound" and highlight the "Speakers io2 default device" and then select "configure" the "test" I can hear the test notes from the left and right monitor speakers. Not loud, but there. So, it seems I have some communication between the pc, the io2 and the monitors. I just can't get Reaper going with the rest. Maybe this info is helpful to you experienced folks. Thanks.

Hey jimmy! So maybe I need to ditch my io2 and get another interface? That would sting a little, since I bought it and have never got any use out of it, haha. But, on the other hand, I'm sure wasting a lot of time spinning my wheels. If I had spent the time I've wasted on the interface driving nails I could have bought a better interface, to be sure.

What would you suggest for an interface? I can't go crazy, moneywise, but have gone too far to quit now. If the building/remodeling business would pick up again, I'd be in better shape. I always appreciate your advice. There are a lot of helpful (and patient) folks here, and I am glad!

Well, yes. If you wish to have things work as they should, a better interface is your first/best bet.

Let me just say, that this interface gives you some features that most other interfaces in this price range do not give (balanced outs, phantom power on two inputs). But, it is designed as a 'plug and play' type of device, that does not need ASIO drivers. Therein lies the biggest problem. Most any serious DAW, will not work without a true ASIO driver.

That being said, there are many in the price range. What is it that you actually need as far as inputs? Do you want to use condenser mics?

I would suggest you spend the time that you are wasting on getting the unit you have working, on researching what you need now. And don't forget about what you may want in the future.

Has the market not come up in Tennessee yet? I am knee deep in construction/remodeling work here in Denver. I can't even keep up with the calls for bids.

:D

Well, yes. If you wish to have things work as they should, a better interface is your first/best bet.

Let me just say, that this interface gives you some features that most other interfaces in this price range do not give (balanced outs, phantom power on two inputs). But, it is designed as a 'plug and play' type of device, that does not need ASIO drivers. Therein lies the biggest problem. Most any serious DAW, will not work without a true ASIO driver.

That being said, there are many in the price range. What is it that you actually need as far as inputs? Do you want to use condenser mics?

I would suggest you spend the time that you are wasting on getting the unit you have working, on researching what you need now. And don't forget about what you may want in the future.

Has the market not come up in Tennessee yet? I am knee deep in construction/remodeling work here in Denver. I can't even keep up with the calls for bids.

:D

Hey jimmy,

I remember when I was researching interfaces I spent many red-eyed nights wading through so much conflicting information. I'd almost settle on one, and then find a bunch of negative info. I finally settled on the io2 as the biggest bang for the buck, but of course, being inexperienced, I knew nothing of the importance of drivers.

I doubt I'll ever need more than two inputs. I have a lot of mics, but only one condenser mic, so phantom power would be nice. Do you know of an interface I could get for under $200 that you think is a good value and that works well with Reaper?

I'm sure if I got out of this relatively sparsely populated area of the East Tennessee mountains, I could swim in work. I don't really want to go that route at this stage. I've got a pretty good niche market of historic restorations and in my shop I build doors, shutters, windows, make custom millwork and all that sort of thing. I've noticed that type of work here seems to follow the market. When it's down or unsteady, purse strings tighten. The 90s were as good as the 70s were bad. Work is just OK now, as people seem cautious. Glad to hear you're in good shape in Colorado. What better there; new construction or remodels? Oh, and thanks for your help! I got off topic, haha.

I don't think you need to rush out & buy a new interface just yet,
as i said i have the same set-up as you & it took me a while to get it sorted, i've got XP on my lappy & W7 on PC. the only difference is W8!, but it MUST be do-able?

I remember the red crosses on the ASIO panel & i think I turned them off on that panel, but if you go to your progam files & look for the ASIO folder (it'll be at the start in the A's) in there is instruction manual in there, check that out?

I'll keep searching as well, I have'nt given up! :)

I don't think you need to rush out & buy a new interface just yet,
as i said i have the same set-up as you & it took me a while to get it sorted, i've got XP on my lappy & W7 on PC. the only difference is W8!, but it MUST be do-able?

I remember the red crosses on the ASIO panel & i think I turned them off on that panel, but if you go to your progam files & look for the ASIO folder (it'll be at the start in the A's) in there is instruction manual in there, check that out?

I'll keep searching as well, I have'nt given up! :)

Thank you, jiff. There was one guy here (jav) who said he had Windows 8 and tried everything, but never could get it to work. I hope there is a way, since I bought this pc specifically for my new studio. If I had known Windows 8 was so different, though, I would have stayed away from it.

I've been trying lots of settings, and somewhere a long the line the red Xs vanished from the ASIO4ALL panel, but there is a different yellow circle/cross symbol to the left of "Realtek HD Audio Mic input". When I hover the cursor over it, there is a box that says, among other things: "Status: Beyond Logic!" and then it says to "Disable system sounds in Control Panel" (which I did long ago) "Deactivate unused inputs and outputs!" (I really don't know what to do about that, if anything) "Audio Drivers too old/too new?" (I don't know about that either) and the last line says "Computers hate you!" which may be right, haha.

I'll look for the instructions you mentioned, and also look online to see if ASIO4ALL has any reported problems with Win 8. Thanks alot, jiff. Are you off holiday now? Have a good day.

Back from holidays now (very nice time!)
As I said it took me a while to set up my things, I thought i'd never get rid of those X's, now I can't remember how I did?? :(
but I do remember doing things in the ASIO panel.
I remember the "Computers hate you" & thought it was very cruel!

If the PC you bought is just for DAW work?, you could set about disabling the internal sound to take that out of the equation?
I've been looking around, but can't seem to find any info on seting up W8 with this interface, but i'll keep trying

EDIT
I have been messing with mine & discovered that;
when you select things to change,for it to take effect you must go back to prefs & select ASIO again,& THEN the changes happen!
try it! (I tried to do a short vid for you but can't get it to upload! :mad:)

Last edited:
Back from holidays now (very nice time!)
As I said it took me a while to set up my things, I thought i'd never get rid of those X's, now I can't remember how I did?? :(
but I do remember doing things in the ASIO panel.
I remember the "Computers hate you" & thought it was very cruel!

If the PC you bought is just for DAW work?, you could set about disabling the internal sound to take that out of the equation?
I've been looking around, but can't seem to find any info on seting up W8 with this interface, but i'll keep trying

Glad you had a good holiday, jiff. I don't know at what step the red Xs disappeared from my config panel, either, but they're gone!

Yeah, the software guy must have had a cold sense of humor when he included "computers hate you!".

I think I have disable sounds on the pc already. I've been searching online some today, and have noticed a few folks saying that ASIO4ALL doesn't work with Windows 8...but have seen other posts that say it does. Too much of my research is inconclusive, haha.

I saw one post that seemed to say that 64 bit Reaper (the version I downloaded) doesn't recognize ASIO4ALL. I don't know if that's right or not. Maybe you or some of the other guys here may know. I suppose uninstalling 64 bit Reaper and reinstalling 32 bit Reaper isn't a big deal, but if it's not necessary I won't do it.

I also thought about trying to use the Alesis driver instead of the optional ASIO4ALL driver. But from what I've read, the ASIO4ALL is better with the io2 for reducing latency.

Thanks again for all your efforts to help me. jiff. Sometimes I miss reel-to-reel!

Last edited:
EDIT on last post (#50) DISCOVERY, i was writing it when you posted! :)
+ you can just D/L reaper 32 as well as 64 side by side(well not really) but it won't harm at all

EDIT on last post (#50) DISCOVERY, i was writing it when you posted! :)
+ you can just D/L reaper 32 as well as 64 side by side(well not really) but it won't harm at all

Hello jiff,

The dreaded red Xs are back. I don't know what, if anything, I did to make them come back, but they are there. Ayyy!

I'll go try what you suggest about selecting ASIO after each "test" change. But as I recall, the ASIO selection stays there when I make all the little changes. Very nice of you to try to do a video for me, my friend, thank you.

Do you think I should switch to 32 bit Reaper? I hesitate to change until I'm pretty sure it will help. You know, some people were saying that ASIO4ALL doesn't work with Windows 8. Wish I could find out for sure. Enjoy your evening, jiff. Thank you again!

Hello jiff,

The dreaded red Xs are back. I don't know what, if anything, I did to make them come back, but they are there. Ayyy!

I'll go try what you suggest about selecting ASIO after each "test" change. But as I recall, the ASIO selection stays there when I make all the little changes. Very nice of you to try to do a video for me, my friend, thank you.

Do you think I should switch to 32 bit Reaper? I hesitate to change until I'm pretty sure it will help. You know, some people were saying that ASIO4ALL doesn't work with Windows 8. Wish I could find out for sure. Enjoy your evening, jiff. Thank you again!

At least they did go!
while I was messing with mine one appeared & then went,so we are not far away from the solution!
it's hard to remember what i did to it go but i'll keep trying & post again as soon as i develope!.

I think you should definitely get 32bit as well as 64, I've got it on my PC which is 64,W7, because most plug-ins & VST's ( especially the FREE ones which are the ONLY ones that interest me!.)are still 32 bit but the ones that are 64, reapers got a bridgeing thing that takes care of that, so in all easier to use 32, I don't think the sound quality has anything to do with it?

don't know what the quality is like but I'm getting there!

https://imgur.com/4NhYIbh Maybe this one!

Last edited:
At least they did go!
while I was messing with mine one appeared & then went,so we are not far away from the solution!
it's hard to remember what i did to it go but i'll keep trying & post again as soon as i develope!.

I think you should definitely get 32bit as well as 64, I've got it on my PC which is 64,W7, because most plug-ins & VST's ( especially the FREE ones which are the ONLY ones that interest me!.)are still 32 bit but the ones that are 64, reapers got a bridgeing thing that takes care of that, so in all easier to use 32, I don't think the sound quality has anything to do with it?

Hey jiff,

I'm back here trying setting again. I've got 3 red Xs now, which is all the io2 section, just below the upper Realtek section. Should I deselect any of the options shown? I'm a little concerned now that W8 just may not work with ASIO4ALL. This shouldn't be that complicated, should it? Thanks, jiff!

Hey jiff,

I'm back here trying setting again. I've got 3 red Xs now, which is all the io2 section, just below the upper Realtek section. Should I deselect any of the options shown? I'm a little concerned now that W8 just may not work with ASIO4ALL. This shouldn't be that complicated, should it? Thanks, jiff!

I've HALF managed the vid,^^ up there^^ don't know yet how to make it big,but maybe you can understand what i'm doing?

The fact that the X's DID go is a very good sign i'd say, mine still come & go but I can't work out why?
I THINK WE ARE NEARLY THERE!

Last edited:
Hey jiff,

I was off this site trying different things; sorry I wasn't here when you posted. I'll look at your video now...thank for taking so much time and going to such effort to help me! I'll look at your post/video now. Be right back.

jiff, I put on my specs and was able to see most of what you were doing in your video. I see what you mean about needing to re-select ASIO after changes! Also, I deselected all the upper boxes in the ASIO config box, leaving only the three io2 ones. Then, I re-selected ASIO and the in/out options DID change, so I think you're right...we're close. But, unfortunately, the in/out options that are there now say "Not Connected" under in and out. If we could figure out remote access, would you be willing to take control of my pc and see what you can do? Thanks again, jiff!

I suppose I should get a little sleep before work my friend. I'll check back here as soon as I can. Have a great week!

jiff, I put on my specs and was able to see most of what you were doing in your video. I see what you mean about needing to re-select ASIO after changes! Also, I deselected all the upper boxes in the ASIO config box, leaving only the three io2 ones. Then, I re-selected ASIO and the in/out options DID change, so I think you're right...we're close. But, unfortunately, the in/out options that are there now say "Not Connected" under in and out. If we could figure out remote access, would you be willing to take control of my pc and see what you can do? Thanks again, jiff!

the "not connected thing was happening on mine if I unplugged the interface while I was messing,& it re-appeared when I plugged it back in?

as if it needed to re-select or something?

REMOTE CONTROL :eek:

Back