Will this Computer Work OK with Reaper

Unbelieveably frightfully yes. That is spec'd better than out inspiron laptop we use on our minimobile, which smokes our dual opteron desktop.

The difference between these new PC's and the ones I mixed a zillion albums on 7 years ago is truly staggering. 64 sample buffers, 24 tracks in record monitor, plugins, 8 million tracks of playback, no config hassles....its getting ridiculous

I just got a scratch and dent vostro core2duo laptop for 800 bucks, and its performance is blowing me away

The only gotcha you are going to see is possibly if you are running a firewire soundcard, but youll see if thats an issue or not

Unbelieveably frightfully yes. That is spec'd better than out inspiron laptop we use on our minimobile, which smokes our dual opteron desktop.

The difference between these new PC's and the ones I mixed a zillion albums on 7 years ago is truly staggering. 64 sample buffers, 24 tracks in record monitor, plugins, 8 million tracks of playback, no config hassles....its getting ridiculous

I just got a scratch and dent vostro core2duo laptop for 800 bucks, and its performance is blowing me away

The only gotcha you are going to see is possibly if you are running a firewire soundcard, but youll see if thats an issue or not
After a few years of slowing down, it really has all kicked on again. My P4 3Ghz is still plenty fast enough but the temptation of having next to zero latency at all times is very tempting.

Heck I'm just running a 1.73Ghz Centrino
1 Gig of ram
On a Dell Latitude D610 and I can't believe
how much this thing can do.

I've been able to record 4 digital audio tracks while playing
Back > 15 so far and haven't hit a limitation that I know of yet.

I'm not sure about the Vista end of things though, but aside from that
Yours should really rock Kramer.

As soon as I got mine I stuck XP on it.

Dell's extremely ambiguous driver page really sucked, but their live support guys kicked ass supremely and got me set up in no time

As soon as I got mine I stuck XP on it.

Dell's extremely ambiguous driver page really sucked, but their live support guys kicked ass supremely and got me set up in no time

damn dude, I dont own a complete copy of Xp. LOL I bought the upgrade version that would kick it up from Win ME to XP.

ME is the worst OS ever made IMO. A format and re-install to full version of XP is what I would recommend (highly).

Anyway, to 2nd what others have said, my computer is worse than all of yours.

AMD 1.2GHz
512MB RAM
80GB HD
Crappy GeForce4 video card
M-Audio 2496

Reaper runs extremely smooth, and surprisingly, this old AMD processor still performs pretty well.

I was suprised at the actual power of the E2 series

And the Dual cores generally.

the E2140 has a 1mb L2 cache.

and at the price they are at, everyone will soon be able to achieve the freedom to create whatever mix they believe achievable.

vista will catch up in no time but XP is still the gun atm.

I've also found that Reaper runs just about as fast in Linux via Wine as in XP, so if you're up for experimentation, you may want to give Ubuntu or a similar distro a try. I'm thinking about switching over completely (just need to phase Cubase out now ._.)

I think dell is now offering xp in lieu of vista if you ask.

The computer is already sitting in my room. LOL I did try to pick a different OS when I was configuring the computer online and it kept telling me that Vista was the only OS for this particular system.

It's not going to slow me down though. I want to find a compatible ADAT card that will allow me to use the 8 inputs on my ADA8000 via lightpipe.

I'll get this thing hooked up sometime tonight and load some existing reaper projects on it and see what the difference is. Should be a lot faster!:D

This new computer is so fast it's unbelievable. I just loaded a 16 track project into Reaper and loaded just about every single track with multiple Waves plugs, Izotope Ozone, Reaper stock effects, and this thing is still flying.

The stock surround sound - sound card works great right out of the gate also ( NO ASIO drivers either :eek:). I'm going to replace it as soon as I can find something reasonably priced with ADAT and MIDI.

This new computer is so fast it's unbelievable. I just loaded a 16 track project into Reaper and loaded just about every single track with multiple Waves plugs, Izotope Ozone, Reaper stock effects, and this thing is still flying.

The stock surround sound - sound card works great right out of the gate also ( NO ASIO drivers either :eek:). I'm going to replace it as soon as I can find something reasonably priced with ADAT and MIDI.

Are all the factory presets loading in your Waves plugs? Mine aren't on one of my machines and I can't work out why not.

Even with Vista the performance isn't too bad. I keep bitching about it but on my current project the mixes are getting to be over 100 channels with all the busses and mults, etc. It does have some hiccups and glitches but it works for mixing. I'm glad I'm not trying to overdub to the project files though.

Back