What's new in Reaper 6

gecko zzed

Grumpy Mod
Reaper 6 has a new default theme.

This theme is more than just a pretty face . . . it hides more than it reveals.

Explore what is possible with this video from Kenny Gioia

YouTube

Do you think 6 is worth upgrading too? I still have 5, I don't use Reaper that much as most of my mixing is done in Ableton, but thinking of migrating over.

If you are not a big user of Reaper, then you are not going to suffer by sticking with 5. However (depending on when you got your licence), the upgrade costs you nothing, and Reaper keeps getting more and more powerful.

I haven't upgraded yet, so far the majority of the updates seem to be in the user interface area. I'm comfortable with V5 for now. Its possible that I'll upgrade (Got my license with v4, so I'll have to reup), but the cost isn't a huge investment. Certainly less than taking my son, daughter and son-in-law out for dinner.

If I can stop losing all those golf balls out on the course, I can easily save enough to pay for it!

Thanks for posting the video, I just d/led 6, and the view was enough different it gave me pause. A lot of shortcuts/quicker ways of doing things.

A change I can't seem to get to do in the track view - 4.0 had volume, pan and width sliders. I can change the volume to a slider, but pan is a knob and width is not visible unless I activate the width automation track.

I tried to make nice with the Reaper 6 theme and the new theme editor. I got tired of what mjb just mentioned, the missing controls in the track view unless the track is armed for recording and has focus. I kept Reaper 6, but I went back to my old theme that has all of the controls that I was used to. There are default themes for the past few versions of Reaper included in version 6, so you can always change it to look more familiar.

The one UI improvement that I do like is the embedded FX display in the mixer window. Some of the Reaper VSTs can be displayed in "mini" form on each strip. I wish it was 1-click to enable it, or that I could have it turn on by default any time I add an eligible effect to a channel. Mainly I like seeing the EQ curve of ReaEQ in the mixer window as an at-a-glance view of the entire project.

How do I get the 4.0 theme back, it was not an option when I d/l-ed 6.0. Also, how to change the default monitoring being on (I want it off, only turn it on for VSTi work.

How do I get the 4.0 theme back, it was not an option when I d/l-ed 6.0. Also, how to change the default monitoring being on (I want it off, only turn it on for VSTi work.

You should be able to find V4 theme by going Options/Preferences/Themes

If, for some reason, it's not there, I've uploaded it to GoogleDrive here:

reaper theme ? Google Drive

Download it, then pop the zipfile into Reaper/Install Data/ColorThemes

In V6, to change the monitoring default, go:

Preferences>Project>Track/send defaults

and click on 'record config'

You should be able to find V4 theme by going Options/Preferences/Themes

If, for some reason, it's not there, I've uploaded it to GoogleDrive here:

reaper theme ? Google Drive

Download it, then pop the zipfile into Reaper/Install Data/ColorThemes

In V6, to change the monitoring default, go:

Preferences>Project>Track/send defaults

and click on 'record config'

Thanks, the option for 4.0 was not in my themes options menu

Yikes. that does not look like what I had at all. I'm sure I did some customizing, but not from that starting point. I see the Reaper site has a place for stored themes, maybe I will search there.

Back